Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2019, 03:11 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Rooftop AC

I think my start capacitor on my front AC is done. Any thoughts on adding a hard start kit while I am up there?
C1v1leng is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C1v1leng View Post
I think my start capacitor on my front AC is done. Any thoughts on adding a hard start kit while I am up there?
In General YES but

What makes you think you have an issue ?

Some AC units already have a Hard start or relay capaciter assist , my old 14.8 Coleman did.

I just removed the Thermo relay/and factory start cap and wired in the SUPCO as directions given,-
Works well, later on I replaced the RUN also since termals were rust/corrosion..

She starts well and runs, she is old 1996... I hope she has more starts in her.. LOL
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:05 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Rooftop AC

My fan motor just makes a buzzing noise and Tripp’s the breaker.

When I went to lookup the replacement capacitor I saw the hard start was advertised with it. Wondered if it’s worth it on a 20 year old AC.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:46 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
the fan is some times a separate capacitor, or it can be a dual unit cap,

you best pul the cover and see what your unit has in it...

My hard start was added to a 1996, 14.8K Coleman AC, It would not fire up off my honda 3000, well 50/50 chance, even off my 3500 genny it was maybe maybe not,
After the supco 6e, it ran all year perfect, I had it on 6 days straight in 85+ weather a few times, never missed a beat..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #5

On my 2000 Tropical I replaced the fan motor, the run capacitor and the hard start relay/capacitor before last summer on my front unit. The rear unit needed the hard start relay/capacitor and run capacitor in mid summer. Both units operated just fine for the remainder of the summer. The total investment was fan motor $150, 2 run capacitors $20 and 2 Supco kits $20. This was a bit of a gamble but both a/c units had quiet running compressors and no signs of leaks or weakness in the evaporator, condenser or related lines.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Rooftop AC

I finally got up on the roof and took the cover off. Removed the capacitors and the motor had a hard start on it. I spun the motor which seemed free. Had the DW turn on the power and it started right up. Ran fine and the compressor started and ran. Got the numbers of the capacitors ( which were on the back side of course) and put everything back togerher. It has been running fine all week. My new (spare) capacitors are in the tool box. It was either the fan motor needed a push or I had a loose connection that taking the capacitors out to read the numbers fixed. Oh well life in the RV...
Old 11-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I put all new capacitors in both my rooftop units a couple months ago. My rear shroud was very brittle and cracking so I also replaced it.

Rooftop A/C units maintenance – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:06 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My rear A/C wouldn't start spinning unless I gave it a nudge. Got on the roof and oiled the bearings which cured the problem for about six months.

Discovered I had to "Exercise" the motor every couple of weeks to keep it working.

Eventually the impeller loosened and got bound up on the side. After moving it back and tightening it pretty good it has run fine for the past two years.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof