Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2023, 09:57 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Running light relay

Good day I have a 2004 National Tropical t396 my problem is when I turn off the ignition the running lights stay on . In the rear compartment passenger side where the inverter is are 2 black boxes with fuses an relays 1 box fuses an relays are labeled the other black box only fuses are labeled an of course this is the box that has the running light fuse . Do not know which relay is for running lights . Any body have this same situation as I do only with your relays being marked . Thanks Rick
Rick carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2023, 12:23 PM   #2

What chassis is your coach built on ?

A relay for the running ( marker ) lights should be in a front PDC .( Power Distribution Center), under the dash or on the firewall.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:29 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Built on a freightliner an the 2 black box’s are in the rear passenger compartment along with the inverter . One black box has fuses an relays with a legend telling you the fuses an relays ,an the other box has fuses an relays but a legend only telling you the fuses the relays are not identified. In that box there is a fuse labeled running lights I remove the fuse an the lights go out , so I am thinking the relay is sticking .
Old 03-22-2023, 07:43 AM   #4

Must have been a major wiring change between the Freightliner chassis built in 1999/2001 and your 2004, in the earlier years the PDCs are part of the dash wiring harness.

Contact Freightliner with your chassis serial number and ask for a wiring schematic , the schematic I have for 2001 chassis has a page with the fuse/relay application chart.
My 1999 chassis the info is on a decal on the inside of the PDC cover.

Freightliner Free Help Line
1-800-385-4357
Old 03-28-2023, 05:23 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I have an '04 T350 on the Freightliner chassis. The fuse panels in the inverter compartment on my rig are for the trailer hitch, not the lights on the coach. As Skip wrote, the control panel for the coach lights is behind the small door on the left front corner of the coach.

I've messed with the the PDC (borrowing Skip's terminology) to try to get the headlight control features of my added-on SmartWheel system working. There is a SmartWheel feature that turns on the running lights when the wipers are actuated regardless of the status of the light switch in the dash, and I was able to get that function working, so I could probably identify the circuit that energizes the running lights.

If you confirm that your coach lights are controlled by the panel in the left front, but cannot determine where the fault is, I could take a look and see where I tapped into the wiring in order to make the "rain lights" work. My SmartWheel controller is mounted ahead of the dash panel. Getting in there, locating and tracing the wire is not a trivial amount of work, so consider my offer as a last resort.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 08:50 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Thanks 1402 I will check out your suggestions later right know I have a pool project cover going on . I do remember I found a fuse relay box back where the inverter is an found a fuse labeled running lights ,I believe one of those relays also might be in line with them . I probably will pull one relay at a time an see if that works ,I don’t believe that will hurt . Thanks Rick
Old 03-30-2023, 07:38 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I've spelled out where you need to look, yet you are still fixated on the stuff in the inverter bay.

Good luck with your project. I'm out.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, relay