Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #1

sanitizing my fresh water holding tank

was wondering what is the easiest way to sanitize my fresh water holding tank? i do not seem to have anyh access into the system to put in some
clorox bleach? how do you know where to pour in the bleach?

the only place i could think of is my fresh water filter housing? should i
unswcrew the water filter housing and put bleach in that and screw it back
in place and then run my water pump??

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

i have a National seaview 8310 model and there is no access to my fresh water supply that i know of other than my exterior water filter housing??

thanks for your oopinions and advice.
mr. seaview is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #2

I hook up the hose to the RV port, hold up the end, pour in the bleach, screw the hose end onto to the bibb, turn on the water and let 'er fill.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This will be so obvious that you will be embarrassed......uh, I was! Disconnect your fresh water hose, shake a little water out of it, pour in your Clorox, reconnect hose, turn water on and .....wallah!....Clorox and water go into your fresh water tank! You'r welcome. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #4

Forgot to mention, make sure you have you system valves set to fill the tank before turning the water on. Otherwise you might get a shot of full strength bleach out of one of the faucets
Old 07-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #5

Fresh tank of water

I just did my 100 gal tank on my class c. I bought my "C" used a few years ago.. I've been tasting really bad tasting water and it smells of sulfer all the time.
So friday I thought it was time I cleaned it out the hoses and hot water tank too. I emptyed out the holding tank and hot water tanks. I added 1/2 gallon of bleach into fresh water tank filled the rest with clean fresh water from my house. and run the pumps to all the mix into the hoses and hot water tank including toliet, bath, and sinks. I took a short ride around my block to mix the bleach / water in the tanks. I let it sit 4 hrs ( had a beer ). Then I drained the whole system and added my fresh water from my house opening all the taps in sinks, tub and toliet also drained the hot water tank. The 3rd time I filled the 100 gal tank and added a small box of baking soda. That night we left for a campground.. Talk about fresh tasting water...But when washing my hands it felt a slippery..But must be from the baking soda....anyways now I will be adding a small bit of bleach and baking soda before each trip.....John
Rollinhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #6

Whatever works for you is great, however you only need to put bleach in about every six months. Putting bleach in each filling will give you a chlorine taste much of the time...just a suggestion. Drive carefully.
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lewis View Post
Whatever works for you is great, however you only need to put bleach in about every six months. Putting bleach in each filling will give you a chlorine taste much of the time...just a suggestion. Drive carefully.
Hi George..I guess your right..Maybe only at end of season Before I park my ClassC..
After tasting the sulver taste..I want clean tasting water...But I'll be on top of it thou..Than you Geoge have a great week in Boerne TX...........John
Rollinhome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water