Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2018, 10:10 PM   #1

Sealand toilet ball replacement

I replaced the ball seals in my toilet a year ago and now it’s not holding water again. Any pointers on replacing the ball. I haven’t attempted that yet and haven’t found any DIY videos on replacing the ball.
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #2

Not difficult ; but , very messy , have rubber gloves , a spray bottle with a bleach solution , work in a large pan with a garden hose handy.

Instructions with the ball kit are good , read them carefully before you start.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tried Peanut Butter?

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/pean...wl-345792.html
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:26 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same problem with my seal shortly after replacing it. To fix it I used an ice stick to clean the under side of the seal, don't get too rough with the seal. To keep the seal clean I open the ball and run a toilet brush through it several time after each trip. As long as I do that the toilet holds water even when not using the MH.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #5

I use Thetford toilet seal lube about once a year. Still have original seal in my 02 Dolphin.
jfoldesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:31 AM   #6

Rarely do you need to replace the ball ......

Clean the seal.........that is needed more often then not
And that means really clean it
Rub it using your hands with some dish soap.......flex the seal when scrubbing, clean underside making sure no scale/crud is present
Then rinse and using your hands rub it real good with a 'lubricant'......plumbers grease, olive oil etc (no vasoline)

I use olive oil..........toilet seal is OEM from 2006
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:46 AM   #7

We had a 2004 Sealand, got tired of fighting with it...and worse it was also leaking out the bowl to pedestal seal and wetting the floor. If fact I think it was losing more water that way than the bowl seal. I found some updated seals on eBay, since its actually a design issue. I never did try them. I bought a Dometic 320 and never looked back. The design where it sits on the toilet flange is a real improvement. The poop chute from the toilet is actually lower than the top edge of the toilet flange which means if your toilet seal ages and might not be fully sealing the design doesn't fully rely on the seal to make sure it doesn't leak.

I did have to use the adapter to be able to turn the toilet flange bolts. Better than having a rotted floor from the Sealand.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:39 PM   #8

Make sure the shaft to the ball is a metal one. The plastic ones tend to round out the square end and prevents the full closing of the ball.
Al10453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #9

I cleaned the seal without removing it then coated it with vaseline and seems to work without disassembly.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm with Old-Biscuit on not using Vaseline on rubber or gaskets/seals as it's a petroleum jelly.

Silicone grease or plumbers grease is a better choice and it doesn't wash off as easily.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone_grease
Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:55 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It might not be the ball. They make a "Tool" for cleaning the seals. There shoudl be one in yoru manual bag in fact but you can get one if you like from bigger RV places but I could not find one on line.. Manual (Link below) says "Included with toilet"

here is the link. https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...es/SEALAND.pdf

Page 5 has cleaning instructions.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
For parts and "insider" know how..And their prices are in line with others..
"Tucker & Leah" sure helped me (and our toilet was one of the 1st series Sealand 3048 vacuum models...
Have your toilet make, model and serial number handy when ordering..
https://www.marinesan.com/AboutUs.asp
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:31 AM   #13

Location: Winter in QZ, mostly on the move the rest of the year
Sealand toilet not holding water

On my Dutchstar I replaced the seals in the Sealand toilet twice. The second time around I replaced the seals and it held water but was leaking onto the carpet. When I took it apart the 2nd time I stopped the leak but it no longer held water. Tired of fooling with it I just lived with it.

When I bought this Southwind the toilet held water for a short while and then started leaking the water into the holding tank. I did a little research and found this improved product on eBay for about half the price:

STOP the Dometic 385311462 from LEAKING with this improved RV toilet seal kit.

Easy install and no leaks. I'm very impressed so far. Appears to be a much better design.
Mrracechaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:23 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most of the time the problem is calcium build up on the bottom side of the seal. You need a flat tool( plastic is best) with a 45 to 90 degree bend about 1 inch from the end. Turn the water off and open the valve and feel under the seal lip for roughness. Take your tool and gently scape it till its smooth. While its open push down on the seal before closing the valve. I replaced mine twice and then noticed the build up and with this method I have not replaced the seal in five years. The newer ones with the one peace seal has the same problem but it's easyer to remove and clean or replace.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, seal, toilet