Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #1

Foretravel Owners Club
Shakedown Cruise - Front end wander

We made our shakedown cruise in our, new to us, 2000 Tradewinds. We drove out to the Oregon Coast. Had problems trying to fit the MH into Nehalen Bay SP, but otherwise had very few problems. The worst was a water leak under the kitchen sink. A fitting on the hot water line worked loose. Averaged nearly 10.5 mpg in nearly 1200 miles.

The unit drives great when there are no cross winds, but the front end really wanders in crosswinds. Anyone else have this issue? What about adding a steering stabilizer?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Congrats on the new MH. Crosswinds can be a big problem. Remember you're in a big box on wheels. First thing to check would be tire pressure. To determine the proper PSI you should weigh each corner (tire) to find the weight and then check the tire mfgr for proper air psi. Shocks may be another area to check out. Being a 2000 MH may need new shocks. Start with the cheapest options first, there's always ways to spend money.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Had the same problem with my new DP a few years back... although it wandered with or without wind.

Good advice about getting the tires properly inflated, alignment and shocks checked, etc. I had mine checked out by Frieghtliner Oasis and by my dealer. They both told me that what I was feeling was normal.

I took it to Henderson's Line Up in Grant's Pass, Oregon and they performed a Road Performance Assessment. I ended up adding a Safe T Plus steering stabilizer, new bell crank, and motion control units. Made all the difference in the world.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Hi there congrats on your new purchase, I have an 01 tradewinds and have owned it just over 2 years now and I have always experienced the steering wander that you are mentioning in windy conditions, I have learned over time to drive it by "feel" and to try not to over steer in the wind and it has helped, I also notice better handling with a full fuel tank and a full fresh water tank, and dropping my speed to 55mph also helps..... however most of the time it is a pleasure to drive, I have done 700 miles straight without feeling tired.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I had the Steer Safe installed in Quartzsite in Jan. (415.00) I have always been worried about a front blow out but no more with this system. I also experianced wandering in the wind and from passing semis. The morning after the installation we headed to Calif and ran right into the good ole Santa Ana winds. I could actually drive with one hand on the wheel and hold a coffee in the other. Also, big improvement with semi's passing, no wandering. Wish I had installed it a long time ago. The maker has a movie showing an 18 wheeler with 80,000 lbs on it and they blow a front tire. Driver controls it with one hand. There are no electrical components. I'll try to find their web site, I loaned my neighbor their business card and haven't got it back yet.

Here it is www.steersafe.com/
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
Thanks for all of the tips. One thing I did after our first 300 miles was to re-calculate the tire pressures. I had both front and rears a little high for the loading. After I reset them, it handled a little better in crosswinds, but still wandered. We are going to the IRV2 NW rally at Brazels next week. I talked the the folks at Brazels about improving the steering. They will install it while we are there.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm really surprised that you had problems at Nehalem Bay as I have seen several 42'-45' rigs in there.
We're s'posed to be going to the meet and greet next weekend,but the DW scheduled Mother's Day at our house w/o looking at the calendar.We will be going to the RV.net spring rally at Prosser the following weekend.

I also had some wander problems and did the tire and shock deal and really don't notice any out of the ordinary problems now.I have been thinking about the steer safe,but after all the problems on our last trip south,I can't even afford fuel.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Nehalem Bay may have been a problem because of the storm when we arrived. We were assigned a space in section A. As I drove to the space, the trees on either side were scraping the sides or trying to pull the mirrors and awning off. The rest of the trees were trying to sweep everything off our roof. I had to zig zag through the trees to keep my mirrors on. The space we were assigned had a low hanging branch that hung below the roof line. I tried to ease in but that branch took out a clearance light on that side. We left the park and ate the cancelation fee.