Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Shock absorbers

I'd like to ask about shocks..I'm not sure but the symtoms may lead to new shocks..As we go down the road we can really feel every little bump in the road and also see it in our dash as it shakes and rattles. Even a CD will skip when we hit certain bumps..I have never replaced shocks on anything I've owned so what are your experiences leading to shock change. Also any idea of the cost to replace shocks.
2004 Dolphin LX6342
gonational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #2

From the way you discribe what your seeing and feeling, you have extreem rough ride, first step ; have you weighed your coach and adjusted your tire pressures according to the tire makers inflation charts ?
Bad shocks, most often produce what is best discribed as a wallowing , after hitting a bump or pot hole, as the shock fails to control the rebound of the suspension, the coach will rock from side to side , or end to end . A shock in good condition should stop this rebounding in 2 cycles. The suspension compresses; from hitting the bump , cycle one; the suspension rebounds; usually past the ride height, cycle two; and then settles back to ride height.
Without shocks or with bad shocks , the cycle can continue for 4,5,or 6 times before it settles. In extreem cases can contribute to motion sickness.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check to see if there is any evidence of leaks from the shocks. If there is, replace.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #4

I just had the shocks on my 2007 Fleetwood changed. 35,000 miles. Koni FSD shocks. The improvement in ride and handling was unbelievable.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put Bilstein shocks on my motorhome about a year after buying it new and had the same ride as you have described. The Bilstein's stopped the porpoising I was experiencing. Several years back I replaced them with Koni FSD's and couldn't be happier. You possibly have Bilsteins. Also, as Skip suggested, your tire pressures may be too high. If you have Michelin tires go to the following link to obtain the correct pressures Michelin North America RV Load & Inflation Tables
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I possibly have wallowing as well,like when I pull out onto the road a little fast and straighten out I feel a side to side motion but what really concerns me is the hard bump, it's like I have no cushioning when I hit bumps, it's like bam and my dash really feels it..soo...
Old 03-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
We have the same MH. After weighing my MH I adjusted the tire psi to 90# front and 85# rear. The tires are wearing well and the ride is improved. I also changed my shocks several years ago to the Bilstiens and then heard about the Koni FSD shocks. The FSD received such great reviews I bit the bullet and bought new Konis even though the Bilstiens only had about 500 miles on them. Very happy with the ride with the Konis. Mine came from the factory with black shocks which I beleive are Monroes.
Weigh and check tire psi before doing anything. Shocks that are 9 years old may need to be replaced.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Well thanks all..I was looking at the prices for the Koni's,,whew, but, I'll first check the tire pressure, then look for black shocks, the MH is 9+ years old..soooo,,we'll see..Thanks again ALL for the info..
Old 03-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I just remembered, there is a tire psi chart in the overhead cabinet above the drivers seat. It's good info
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As others state. Check for proper tire pressure.
I had Bilsteins on our 05 W24 and hated them. Replaced them with Koni FSD's and could not be happier.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaets View Post
I just remembered, there is a tire psi chart in the overhead cabinet above the drivers seat. It's good info
The chart is CYA by NRV, the PSI's indicated "assume" each axle is carring the maximum rated weight. As stated, the coach must be weighed and pressurers set per the tire manufacturers chart.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stiff ride

gonational,

You have been given some good pointers. Are your tires original equipment? If so, the rubber is hardening and producing a bumpy ride. I just put new Michelins on my 2005 and the ride improved drastically. Next move is to Koni FSD's. Might be expensive, but your lives are riding on them.

use the FMCA/Michelin tire program to get a great price on XRV 235/80R22.5

Happy Trails!

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes I have brand new Michelins thru FMCA..great deal..I assumed that they inflated them to the right pressure but now I will buy a good tire gauge and check them out..It did have the original tires on it when I bought it and put the new ones on before we went to AZ..great trip,,but some of the roads were a little bumpy so I thought Id ask the question about shocks..on the other hand when on the good roads it was great..thanks for you input.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They probably inflated them to the side wall maximum PSI to CYA. Get your coach weighed and adjust the PSI according to the Load to Inflation Tables. I know I am in the minority, but I am very happy with my Bilsteins.

Michelin North America RV Load & Inflation Tables
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote