Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
quote:
Looks great! I will post pics when we are done relocating ours, just waiting on a few more parts. BTW, what did you do with the original plug and cover on the exterior?

I left the connector on the outside of the coach. Also, I pushed the wire going to it up into the wall, and left a small amount so that it could be pulled back & converted back if wanted.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The RV electrician doing the work for us pulled the original wiring out of the exterior wall, citing possible safety concerns. He is replacing the original receptacle with one that locks shut. Once it is finished, I will post pics, hopefully making it more clear. Thanks for the information!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #17

When you move the plug inside do you have room for some form of cord retractions device? I carry 50 and 30 amp cords with adapters which leave very little room for any type of device. Did moving inside do anything to help the weight and cumbersomeness of the heavy cords?
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post
When you move the plug inside do you have room for some form of cord retractions device? I carry 50 and 30 amp cords with adapters which leave very little room for any type of device. Did moving inside do anything to help the weight and cumbersomeness of the heavy cords?
Hello, Lenjen. Not sure if this was for me or the OP, so my answer is there is not enough room for a cord reel in my compartment. Like you, I carry several types and various lengths of cords, and am losing some space due to adding a Progressive Industries EMS as well. I will post pics when done.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Hello, Lenjen. Not sure if this was for me or the OP, so my answer is there is not enough room for a cord reel in my compartment. Like you, I carry several types and various lengths of cords, and am losing some space due to adding a Progressive Industries EMS as well. I will post pics when done.
Trying to understand the reasoning. The only thing moving the receptacle inside does is no longer plugging into the sidewall and having surge protector inside? Your cord will now exit through the hole in the compartment? and be rolled up inside the compartment or then rolled up outside?
Old 10-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #20

The only problem I have with cutting my cord in half is that I will still
Have the same stiff cord only shorter. In cold weather you cannot coil
The cord up . It is like wrestling with an Anaconda.
My plan is to have a new shorter ,more flexible cord made and than relocate
My plug from the outside of of the MH to inside a compartment.
had a typo on my first post. Mine is a 2006 model on a w24 chassis.
daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post
Trying to understand the reasoning. The only thing moving the receptacle inside does is no longer plugging into the sidewall and having surge protector inside? Your cord will now exit through the hole in the compartment? and be rolled up inside the compartment or then rolled up outside?
Hello, lenjen. After 9 years of struggling with the ends of the shore power cord pulling away from the plug due to the constant bending from the plug towards the ground, my son finally gave me the reason to move the exterior receptacle to the electrical compartment. He was driving his monster jeep too close to the side of my coach, and his mirror caught the cord, and ripped the whole receptacle from the coach! Before this, I had tried several different adapters that advertised eliminating this cord strain, but neither worked due to the outer locking ring having larger threads than the OEM, or simply not aligning with the receptacle. And yes, I absolutely prefer to have a hardwired Progressive Industries EMS inside the compartment. The RV electrician that is doing the work is installing everything so that I can remove the EMS if repair is ever needed. It is too bad that the electrical compartment is so small on my Dolphin, I would love to have a cord reel or two! I will send pics of the whole process, including before and after pics. Currently, we are just waiting on a few more parts.

Bruce
Old 10-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels View Post
Hello, daniels, thanks again for the thread! I have found several cords that advertise to be more pliable, however at a MUCH higher cost than the typical ones. I will let you know what I end up with, but it will probably be like you, with a 25' and a 50'. In past winter camping adventures, the only way to get our 50' cord rolled up was to lay it in the sun for a while. The RV electrician I am working with said he has a few tricks up his sleeve, probably leading to my wallet. . .

BTW, I tried one of the large marinco yellow plugs you mentioned, but I like to lock the electric pedestal box when possible, and these plugs are way to big to get the utility door to shut.

Bruce
Old 10-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Hello, lenjen. After 9 years of struggling with the ends of the shore power cord pulling away from the plug due to the constant bending from the plug towards the ground, my son finally gave me the reason to move the exterior receptacle to the electrical compartment. He was driving his monster jeep too close to the side of my coach, and his mirror caught the cord, and ripped the whole receptacle from the coach! Before this, I had tried several different adapters that advertised eliminating this cord strain, but neither worked due to the outer locking ring having larger threads than the OEM, or simply not aligning with the receptacle. And yes, I absolutely prefer to have a hardwired Progressive Industries EMS inside the compartment. The RV electrician that is doing the work is installing everything so that I can remove the EMS if repair is ever needed. It is too bad that the electrical compartment is so small on my Dolphin, I would love to have a cord reel or two! I will send pics of the whole process, including before and after pics. Currently, we are just waiting on a few more parts.

Bruce
Bruce, That is good reason. A relative is a licensed electrician, he redid my coach plug when he cut my 30 foot 50 amp cord in half. My cord is stiff buy not unmanageable in the shorter lengths. The surge guard is a pain but for now everything is working fine.

Looking forward to your photos for future changes. Sandi
Old 10-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels View Post
Had to laugh, been there done that with the Anaconda cord! My camping is always in the south so very few times has the cold been a factor. I will say the same cord shorter is much easier.

Tags
power, shore power