RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shore Power Loss

2006 National SeaBreeze, 8.1 Workhorse.
Starting to get the rig ready to take grandkids camping tomorrow, plugged into shore power in order to get the fridge cold, etc. - nothing.
Generator runs everything just fine, circuits and outlets work.
Power verified at end of 50 amp extension (plugged into 15 amp circuit in the house via conversion connector). I have done this before and just keep the RV power usage down so I don't trip the house breaker.
Looking at forums for help. Transfer switch failure? Where is it? How do I know if that's it? Suggestions much appreciated.
thundr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The transfer switch is a large metal box with the 50 amp shore cord going into it. The ATS also has a similar wire from the generator and a third wire going to the breaker panel. It generally makes a sound when it connects to shore power, the generator is the default position of the switch.

When you find the ATS, make sure the power is off and then check the screw terminals for the different cords into it. They can work loose over time and if you're lucky tightening the terminals on the cables will restore operation.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:55 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Bob - Not sure it's not my 50 amp power cord. If I put my meter probes on the incoming side of the transfer switch I don't see any power to the switch. BUT, if I do the same thing except ground the meter to the nearby chassis ground, I see power! This makes me suspect the cord itself. But I'm more mechanical than electrical oriented so I might be stuck going to the RV store early in the morning. Either try a new cord or see about a transfer switch.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would suspect that it is somewhere in your 15 amp to 50 amp conversion connector.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennersonf View Post
I would suspect that it is somewhere in your 15 amp to 50 amp conversion connector.
Or the 50 amp plug. Check each prong against the corresponding connection at the ATS for continuity. If it doesn't show continuity, I'd start by cutting off the old plug and testing the wires to ATS. A new plug is much cheaper than a new 50 amp cord.

The 15 amp to 50 amp adaptor should show the 'hot' side of the 15 amp in both 'hots' of the 50 amp female plug. Neutral and ground should show continuity. The large prong (or slot) in a 15 amp circuit is neutral.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundr56 View Post
Thanks Bob - Not sure it's not my 50 amp power cord. If I put my meter probes on the incoming side of the transfer switch I don't see any power to the switch. BUT, if I do the same thing except ground the meter to the nearby chassis ground, I see power! This makes me suspect the cord itself. But I'm more mechanical than electrical oriented so I might be stuck going to the RV store early in the morning. Either try a new cord or see about a transfer switch.
Not real clear what you're saying here. However, if you're checking (with a meter) from hot to hot on the 50A cord you will not read any voltage using a 15/50 adapter. That's because the two hots are electrically the same point due to the adapter. If that's not what you're saying then disregard.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It was the shore pwr cable. One side was only reading about 65 volts. Had to buy a new cable in order to get moving again. May dissect the old one to see if it's fixable (plug issue).
Thanks for all the input guys.

Tags
power, shore power