Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Side graphics National RV

These folks have the capacity to create the graphics for National RV's. It comes at a price but this subject comes up now and then. I contacted them about my 03 Dolphin LX and received a response saying they could do the job of replacing all or part of the graphic.

Just letting folks know.,

Al Gould
Sales Manager

KEG Graphics
7309 Murdy Circle
Huntington Beach, CA 92647

Tel: 714-841-1131
Fax: 714-847-0726

Cell: 714-401-1898
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 07:11 AM   #2

njs42,any graphic location can do any graphics .for example here there is a company called trim line ,they have a sign maker that allows to recreate any decals from a picture
they can fully wrap your RV using a picture
the technology in vinyl decals and graphics is so advanced now you can do pretty much anything
gridfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
gridfighter; sure thing, here is another for reference. The question is raised frequently so the more the better, that's all.

I went to several sign making companies about this locally and they pretty much scratched their heads so having a name and a number keeps folks from having to shop around.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:16 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Instead of graphics I'm looking to have them removed and painted on. That way I can wax them along with the mh and not worry about damaging them.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Instead of graphics I'm looking to have them removed and painted on. That way I can wax them along with the mh and not worry about damaging them.

This is what I do for living
I can tell you this is going to be one of the hardest thing you done on your RV
If you are paying someone to do it ,It will be very expensive and only over the labor involved in removing them
the RV's are using a 5 or 6 mil tape that has a very low quality soon as it ages it shrinks and cracks resulting in a impossible tasks to remove .

you need to use a hair dryer get the graphics warm and pulled them off
being thin they will break off constantly and you will need to start over making this job unpleasant and frustrating
If you can manage to clean off the old graphics ,you just cost the cost in half to get this job done
trust me any shop will be thrilled to have the old stuff off

if you plan on doing this your self it is pretty easy as the color under the graphics will be so far off the rest of the unit you will have no problem re tracing them for paint .

you mask the complete side with a paintable sheet that unfold the full height of the unit and with razor blade cut all that need painting
anyone can do that them self and save 1000's of dollars

i posted a picture to show the plastic sheet ,comes in a roll of 100 ft for 50$ this will seal off the unit so you only have paint where it is needed
Old 01-22-2015, 06:24 AM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	spring 014 528.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	83925

Name:	spring 014 529.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	83926
Old 01-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Thanks Gridfighter for the info. I know someone who removed his decals with a heat gun on a 37' Tradewinds and it was no easy feat. I've heard that there is a roller you can use on a drill motor, but some say it may cause damage to the paint under the decals. Is this true? When he removed his he had decals put back on. My mh sits on the West side of my house and the sun has destroyed the decals, City won't let me build a cover for it since I'm on a corner, this is why I'm thinking paint instead of new decals.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:27 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Joe

Our paint has held up very well over the years. It's just a pricy proposition.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	After1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	83948  
Old 01-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Thanks Gridfighter for the info. I know someone who removed his decals with a heat gun on a 37' Tradewinds and it was no easy feat. I've heard that there is a roller you can use on a drill motor, but some say it may cause damage to the paint under the decals. Is this true? When he removed his he had decals put back on. My mh sits on the West side of my house and the sun has destroyed the decals, City won't let me build a cover for it since I'm on a corner, this is why I'm thinking paint instead of new decals.

those wheel work but not that great
I doubt you could damage the paint with them and willing to bet it is gelcoat anyway ,most units are gelcoat like a boat with grafics on top
If the unit was fully painted they would be no need to strip it .
regardless those wheel are made to pull the stripe with out affecting the paint ,the on;ly problem is they work very slowly and leave most of the glue behind
as long as you don't let the wheel spinning at the same spot for too long you would not burn the finish under

the fastest way is hair dryer and pull them off
that way the glue come off with the stripe and it is less glue washing after .

but out of curiosity ,how bad are the graphics now ?
are they faded or all cracked ?

can you post a picture of the unit ?
I would like to see the graphics maybe I can make suggestions
It is something you should do your self anyway
We spray outside all the time and it works well ,no need to be inside
Old 01-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
The rubber wheel will work but the motor is a special rpm and the arbor is unique to that tool and it is close to 500$ for the complete tool. I fabricated an arbor from a hole saw for a drill but it is extremely hard to turn it at the correct speed. My 06 tradewinds has full body paint that is holding up well but they put a crappy clear on the front that is a #%## to get off. You can heat it but it comes off inch by inch (or less).
Old 01-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
here's a couple of pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	84092   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0020.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	84093  

Old 01-25-2015, 06:44 AM   #12

from the pictures ,we can see they are beyond salvage and they are way too worn out to get off easy

you only have 2 options
use the wheel ,it does work ,not sure about the special tool that was mentioned by Tom
at the shop We use them on a air drimmel the RPM is extremely fast but We only spin it by shot and find where it work best
could be the reason We never really like it that much

what We do and what the graphic guy (Trimline) do , is use a razor blade .
This is what is the fastest way to get such thin stripping off
With the razor blade in a proper tool to hold it it is CRUCIAL you dull one side of the blade to avoid biting in the finish
You take the blade and rub it away from cutting edge on a wood piece
like 10 times ,this will dull the one side you will work with
once the blade is dull try it both side on the RV surface
you need to hold the blade at 30 degree angle
one side will slide over the finish like nothing
the other side will bite instantly
you need to use the blade on the side it did not bite at all
and fit it in the tool ,if you decide to do it with your finger only it is harder but can be done by always have the blade between your finger and your nail against the RV to keep the 30 degree angle
by using a hair dryer to warm them ,they will cut off easier

If you want ,I have a unit in the shop that We cut off like 4 by 8 ft panel on one side over water infiltration ,I am almost positive their will be graphics to be redone on it ,i can make a video of the stripe blade off and post picture of how we re paint them

I am painting the graphics back regardless of what the rest of the unit look like
sometime it is easier to see

I will post a picture of the 3M glue remover I use in a spray bomb
you will have to wash all the glue off

Tags
national