Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #1

Side Window unit removal???

My '01 Tropical has a broken side widow. Passenger side, lower, stationary section is broken. SE-GI is the manufacturer.

How are these unites removed. No screws behind the rubber flange/seal.

Can just the broken part be removed? How?

I can find no screws, clips, or other retaining mechanize.

Thanks, H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #2

The windows are held in place by the rubber seal. I watched them remove one of my windows that had fogged. I was surprised at the way it was removed and held in place. Not sure that I would ever try to remove the window on my own, it took two men that had removed many of them only about fifteen minutes. Installing is a bit more involved.
rvndonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvndonm View Post
The windows are held in place by the rubber seal. I watched them remove one of my windows...
Thanks!

Was the seal damaged during removal?

It looked to me that the seal would have to be "bent" back all around the perimeter, or at least three sides, and then the unit pushed outward.

Any details would be appreciated!

H

Old 09-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #4

I removed mine from 2001 Dolphin. The rubber seal holds the window in place. The seal is easy to remove. The trick is getting it back on. To remove, inspect the rubber gasket/seal on inside. find where each end meets. I was able to pull one end easy and begin to come off. Before you do, make sure another person on outside in case the window begins to fall. Recommend you take picture how the seal is attached to window so you remember when you re-install. The seal has a very complex shape and without knowing which side matches to the frame it may take hours to figure it out. To reinstall, I used the same seal, and a used a screening tool, looks like a handel with wheel on it, install screen to doors, to reinstall the seal to the window. Did this on a flat table. Now the trick, put rope behind the seal all the way around the inside of seal leaving both ends of the rope hanging out where the two ends meet. Install the window pushing in as much as you can. Go inside and pull on the rope to leaf the seal on to the inside wall. It is not an easy job and will take atleast two or three people, one or two holding on outside and rope puller on inside. If you don't feel confortable with this then I would take to professional. Problem is not sure how many shops know how to do it. When I called around no one knew in my area. I happen to luck out one day, called Camping World in San Marcos and one of the guys there use to work for National RV. Good luck! By the way, the reason I removed mine was because it was leaking. Recommend you also replace the rubber seal on exterior after you remove the window you will see it. Home depot stuff. If you tear or distroy the interior black seal I have no idea where you can find replacement but someone else might know.
ValleyCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #5

Read your post again and you don't want to remove the entire window only one of the three sections. Forget my instructions which are to remove entire window. I bet someone else has had one of the sections replaced. Hope you find some help with that. Sorry for confusion.
ValleyCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyCenter View Post
Read your post again and you don't want to remove the entire window only one of the three sections...
So, does anyone have any idea of how to do this, remove only the non-moving lower section?

Old 09-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #7

Generally speaking, rv windows with multiple pieces of glass are assembled and then put into the coach as a unit. Many are made to not be serviceable, you must buy the whole unit. If the window is not insulated glass, you may have a chance of fixing just one piece, but it takes a crafty glass person to figure it out. There are a few sliding pieces that can be changed by removing the felt channel that the window rides in and then going up and down with the glass and sliding the tracks back in. Sorry for the generalizations here, but there are so many setups for rv windows

dave
Dave1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #8

Anyone know of a source for replacement window units?
\
H

Old 09-14-2012, 06:29 AM   #9

parkin accessories 800 637 8938

duncan systems 800 551 9149

no promises, but give them a try

dave
Dave1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #10

Atwood, supplies RV mfg with windows and their site allows you to order and instructions for removal and installation. Check out their web site.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, window