Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2008, 11:34 AM   #1

Hello everyone, My Father-in-law has a 1999 Trade Wind. every time we go on a trip within a short amount of time the livingroom slide comes ouot about 2". It dosen't seem to hold in. Is there some type of braking system to hold the slide in. The coach I have is hydraulic and I'm not familiar with the electric system. Thanks for any input
William Schnieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2008, 11:34 AM   #2

Hello everyone, My Father-in-law has a 1999 Trade Wind. every time we go on a trip within a short amount of time the livingroom slide comes ouot about 2". It dosen't seem to hold in. Is there some type of braking system to hold the slide in. The coach I have is hydraulic and I'm not familiar with the electric system. Thanks for any input
Old 08-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #3

My TT came with two slide locks, basically just two poles that get wedged in the slide at the top to prevent it from moving out during travel.
They'd be easy enough to fabricate.
Tom in Salem, MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #4

you can purchase slide locks at camping world.
the actual name for them is slide lock. much cheaper to purchase than to fabricate. jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:15 PM   #5

Just remember to take the slide locks out before you extend the slide....
We had an issue with out previous 5th wheel trailer. The slide had a hydraulic ram that extended the slide. The switch was on a cabinet and there was no guard behind the switch leaving the switch contacts exposed. Well we had packed some stuff behind that switch and through traveling, a piece of metal shorted across the contacts releasing the valve that kept the ram from moving freely. So we were driving down the road and when we took a right turn the slide would go out. Once we found the short, it was all good. But it was kind of scary seeing a slide coming out while driving down the road.
I would think that if your slide is hydraulic too, there is some kind of check valve that prevents fluid flow when the slide is in or out. it may be that it is malfunctioning. Or, there is a contact/switch that may be out of adjustment when the slide is all the way in and it is not working properly.
Hopefully someone else may come up with something else.
There is also a National Owners group out on the Yahoo Groups area. You will need to register but they may be able to help.
Good luck
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The drive motor for the slide room has a brake lever on the end of it. You need to make sure the lever is in the locked position, this is the normal position. The only time it should be un locked is for a manuel retraction or extension.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #7

Richard, I saw that switch and thought it might be some kind of locking mechanism. Do you know which postion is the lock position, because the slide functions in both positions. Thanks for the other responces, but I don't want a band-aid, I want to find the problem and repair it the correct way.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:30 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's printed on the motor, Lock / Unlock
Old 08-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rotate 30 degrees counter-clockwise to unlock per the manual. http://www.powergearus.com/
Old 08-26-2008, 06:35 PM   #10

Thanks for all the help, we found the lock switch in the wrong position. It must have got bumped while pulling the bbq out. Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:24 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sure glad all turned out well.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:16 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Keep in mind that the slide is supposed to work in either position. The electric brake receives 12vdc at the same time as the motor itself and releases. If it's manually unlocked already, then there's no effect.
As an added tip, if you ever have to unlock it for manual operation and it seems to have restriction, try disconnecting the power plug at the dc board, which may be magnetizing the motor fields.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:25 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 04 use to come out about 1.5" while driving, and National said it was a faulty Brake Lock, --they changed the motor. No problems since.