Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #1

slide-out keys

does anyone know where I can get a KEY for my slideout?? the slideout is a Power Gear unit and uses a Key #616 to operate it. you cannot get this key from a hardware store & the RV dealer I had looking for it says Power Gear no longer makes it. anyone know of a salvage yard that may have National motorhome parts for sale? this key # may be standard for years in 1999 and upto around 2002.
two slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by two slides View Post
does anyone know where I can get a KEY for my slideout?? the slideout is a Power Gear unit and uses a Key #616 to operate it. you cannot get this key from a hardware store & the RV dealer I had looking for it says Power Gear no longer makes it. anyone know of a salvage yard that may have National motorhome parts for sale? this key # may be standard for years in 1999 and upto around 2002.
Crack open your phone book and look for a real locksmith that also cuts keys. Where I live I go to Keevers keys and they can cut anything. Ive even had them make a blank for a vintage key that no longer existed. They have everything. Got all my winnebago keys cut including the odd keys I have no idea what they go to. lol

Also, most likely the key blank exists there is just no reference. When in a bind I went into ACE and they let me rifle through their blanks until I found a match. Worked like a charm.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Think FFork has best idea. I looked at our spare P.Gear slide key and it is a ....616. Pretty sure I got it 6 years ago at a real locksmith. Guess you could remove the panel and take it to a locksmith.

If all else fails....I can mail you my spare and have another made locally.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
If getting another key fails, an option is to replace the entire on/off keyed switch assembly.
On/Off Key Switch Lock Keyed Alike, Key Removable in OFF Position With 2 Keys | eBay
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:20 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

I have often thought of just replacing that silly key with a 3 position toggle switch. Has anyone just done that? Don't mean to hijack the thread but I don't understand the point of having a key for it. Thoughts?
TaterTot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #6

I wish mine had a key. I worry someone will mistake the bedroom slide switch for a light switch since it's easier to find. Lol
Old 09-16-2017, 08:57 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Have you lost the key? I only have 1 key and it never comes out of the key hole. Like my boat key. never remove it and it should not be a problem.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #8

slide out key

Forkyfork ---you're a Genius and you get the prize. went to a locksmith today & made me 2 keys. since I have 2 slideouts I was able to give him the other key for reference.

thanks goes to everyone else for responding
Old 09-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
How did that work exactly....did you ask for a 616 blank and are they all the same cut for all PGear slideouts ? Or did you bring him the switch ass'y ?
Old 09-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
How did that work exactly....did you ask for a 616 blank and are they all the same cut for all PGear slideouts ? Or did you bring him the switch ass'y ?
I have 2 slideout rooms that both use 616 key so this was easy for me.
took key to him and he had no problem matching it. the 2 keys he made don't have a number on them & they are a different color & shape but work perfectly & no I didn't ask for 616 blank key. also since I had an extra key to match up didn't need to take out switch ass'y that would have been a real nightmare.

I would say any (if not all) Power Gear unit probably uses key #616. someone will post if theirs is different #

hope this answers your questions
Old 09-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #11

Quote:
took key to him and he had no problem matching it. the 2 keys he made don't have a number on them & they are a different color & shape but work perfectly & no I didn't ask for 616 blank key. also since I had an extra key to match up didn't need to take out switch ass'y that would have been a real nightmare.

I would say any (if not all) Power Gear unit probably uses key #616. someone will post if theirs is different #

I forgot to add----2 keys & sales tax = $4.80
Old 09-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #12

Quote:

Yay! glad they helped you out. Sounds like they are just as awesome as the ones near me.

We make duplicates of all keys and keep the originals in the safe. The locksmith gets lots of our business.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:17 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine is the opposite , I can't get the key out, which is great as I'm getting older and would probably forgot where I hung it if I ever did take it out. What's really fun is getting a spare bottom door lock made. I was down to one and went to several different places like Lowes, Home Depot and an Ace hardware. Finally asked my goto rv dealer counterman and he told me that the only place he used was an old locksmith guy in town. Went there and he made several keys and then I started checking the MH keys on the board and went back and had him make several more complete sets of my keys,except for the bay doors which I have plenty of. He even had a coke key for the front gennie door.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide