Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #1

Slide out motor

We were leaving on a trip I just had my bedroom slide extended and it would not go back in. I could not manually extend the slide, it seamed to be locked up. I took the motor off and found a blown 30 amp in line fuse. With the motor off I could manually extend the slide but now I think I need a new motor. It seams to have a "brake" on the end if the motor. Any ideas in what went bad?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	88519  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
If the motor locked down for some reason it would blow the fuse.

Different sytem, but similar motor on my slides & jacks hydraulic pump. My motor slowed down and quit a couple of years ago. We were miles and days from a replacement. A mobile tech took the motor apart and found the internal ground was bad. Between the two of us, we had the parts (bolt, nut, insulating washer) and ability to restore the ground and get everything back together and working. It was very similar to the failure and the way I rebuilt the 12v generator on a VW van many years ago.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my coach, you must manually release the motor brake BEFORE you can manually crank the slide in or out. The blown fuse was caused by the motor drawing excessive current.......the reasons could be several.....one might be shorted windings in the motor. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:43 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
That looks like a Power Gear motor. You can manually engage/disengage the brake by moving the lever sticking out the end where the wires are.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #5

Bad motor

I found out the motor is bad. I have found new ones but the price ranges from $500 plus. Any ideas on where to get a better deal on a motor?
Old 03-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My first effort would be to find a good auto STARTER/GENERATOR rebuilder....and see if they can rebuild this DC motor. A Starter is just a DC motor and a Generator is similar. If they can rebuild it, and a good outfit probably can, it will be much much cheaper. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:24 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
You might try The Gambler in Quartzsite, AZ, they buy a lot of inventory from RV outfits that go under. Google them, also they have their main shop in Victorville, CA. When I was looking to replace my motor they had some, but not mine. Good luck, Power Gear is expensive, mine was over 900 bucks.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:49 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A few years ago I had to replace my dinette-sofa slide motor. It was a broken gear bushing that caused on of the gears to break. Yep, it was expensive at $700. It's a Power Gear unit and Power Gear will not sell retail. Had to go through a local RV parts dealer. Now get this, Power Gear does not keep an inventory of slide motors. They need the model number and they build them when ordered. Mine took three weeks to get. I'm glad I wasn't on the road. I changed it out myself and saved the installation charge.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out