RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Slide Scratching/Gouging Laminate/Wood Floor

I have a 2001 Tradewinds 7390 and tried a few years ago to replace the carpet with laminate flooring. Since I had heard of some slides that may damage the laminate/wood flooring I laid out a few pieces and sure enough my slide (large one) gouged/scratched the laminate. So at that time I layed carpet squares with no problems.

This past few days I decided to tackle it again and finally figured out what was causing the scratching/gouging. My big slide moves in and out on black plastic skids that are attached to the slide bottom with 6 screws (3 on each side). The scratcher/gouger is the back most screw on each side. They do not seem to hang up on carpet, but they will cause damage to any hard surface as the slide moves in and out. The wood flooring that was under the carpet has grooves in it from these screws. These screws were not recessed when installed and a few of mine have become loose over the years. The front two screws on each side do not cause any problem as you can see how they are set on my first picture. Unfortunately the design of the black plastic skid in the back has the screws on each side hanging out below the bottom of the black skid. You can see this on my second picture. At the end of the long screwdriver you can see how much the screw hangs below the skid. Over the years they also have worked loose. I was able to remove one and will be going after all of them now to remove them. After that I will try to work some gorilla glue between the skid and slide bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1434.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	26064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1441.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	26065  

sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Well after a couple of hours of trying a file, neddlenose pliers and a hack saw blade the screws are still there. As you can see from the pic above, these screws aren't the easiest to get to. Anyone have a thought as to how to cut, file or remove them. They are in about 1 1/2" from the outside wall. There isn't enough room from the bottom of the slide to use saws all.

Open to suggestions.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have no idea how flexable the floor of the slide is but maybe you could make a triangle shaped object (wedge) and have the floor as you are bringing it in ride up onto it to give you a little more room. Maybe then you could get a offset screw driver in there? Just a thought.
larrykathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
From the outside you can jack the slide up about two inches if you have the equipment to do it.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Mine does the same thing. The PO had installed laminate and it is very gouged up. I removed the offending screws with a chisel. It kinda fixed the problem...the plastic skid still rides on the laminate and scuffs/scratches it up pretty bad. I'm thinking if I could get the skids off, then I could cover them in thin carpet so the carpet would slide on the laminate instead. Right now its just plain ugly and we cover it with throw rugs.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Rockcrawler, did you remove both back screws on each of the three skids??

Any problems with the skid separating from the slide with just the four front ones holding it in place??

Once I get those screws out I plan on laying carpet strips under the slide just wide enough so that when fully extended you can't see the carpet. Then I'll use a transition strip between the carpet and the laminate. I also plan on laying strips of carpet runner on the laminate in front of the 3 skids so that when I bring the slide in it should ride on the carpet and not the laminate.

It all sounds good in my head, but we'll see if it works.

If anyone see's any problems here with my method, don't hesitate to jump in and offer up your suggestions. There are a lot of us who have these type of skids that prevent us from having a carpet free floor.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Joe, I did this over a year ago and cant remember which ones I cut out. I think they were the ones closest to the inside, leaving the longest grooves in the floor. My laminate is ruined and I would like to replace it when I find a good solution. Keep us posted on your fix.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I just re-finished my nylon slide skids today after noticing some marks on my Allure vinyl floor. I had 2 under the couch that were just screwed into the bottom of the slide. I have 3 in the dinette, one on each end and one in the middle. These were mounted on L brackets that just screwed into the face of the slide floor and are easy to remove.

I was able to use a crowbar and small wood blocks to raise the slide at each skid enough to raise it 1/2 inch. DW gave me an old 1/4 inch thick cotton woven rug with no backing. I gorilla glued pieces of the rug to the bottom of the skids.

The first time I just used some thin felt. I also noticed on the re-do that 3 of the skids when fully extended was not lying on the laminate, but just off of it. This was tearing the felt off. I re-cut a few pieces of flooring so when the slide was fully out, the skids remain on the new floor.

Now I'll wait to see how this goes.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Well I'm getting there. Bought one of those vibrating thingees that you can use for sanding, removing groute and all kinds of cutting except stainless steel screws. Returned it to Lowes (thank you Lowes) and bought a Saws-All ( they call it a Recipro something). The diamond blade ($$$) did the trick. No more gouging screws, so far. I'm going to lay some carpet strips under the bottom where the slide starts to come in so it should move in with no bumping & grinding right over the laminate. The carpet will not be visable. I'm going to staple the carpet strips so the slide doesn't move them. Let you know how this works before I actually lay the laminate.

Good thing I'm retired.

After this project, I'm going to look at changing out the ceiling "carpet".
Old 09-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Have you considered using a thin piece of Nylon/Teflon glued to the existing slide? A thin piece of a cutting board comes to mind. You might even try to route out a thicker piece so that the slide sits down in a channel for additional support/holding strength. I hope this helps..
Old 09-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The dealer installed all laminate flooring before I saw the unit. Since we bought it in 2011, we have had some scratching on the right side but I think it is because the metal roller was intended for carpet. I have put felt pads there several times but they won't adhere over time.

I have sort of minimized the problem by putting a rubber strip under the roller (metal) when bringing the slide in and stand on it while the slide comes in (DW does anyway). Not elegant but got tired of fooling with it. I used a 4' strip of rubber base board molding like they use in commercial jobs. A thin rigid plastic strip would work better but have found the right thing yet.

They do have a similar solution for slides with carpet floors that have barbs on the bottom of the plastic strips to make it skid proof when going in. When the slide is extended, you just stow the plastic strip. Of course this one can't be used on laminate but you get the idea.

Also, I have used a crowbar and blocks on the inside and a jack and 2x4 on the outside to get working clearance while trying to clean/oil the rollers. Be extra careful with the jack and board idea. Secure the gap with something else when the jack is up. The dealer used this also when I first had the scratching problem.

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-PHartley
Have you considered using a thin piece of Nylon/Teflon glued to the existing slide? A thin piece of a cutting board comes to mind. You might even try to route out a thicker piece so that the slide sits down in a channel for additional support/holding strength. I hope this helps..
Your idea is a sound one. However,when I did my floor I discovered I had nylon skids. I removed them for inspection and found heavy scratches on them. I sanded them smooth as glass. After running the slide in and out, I saw noticable marks on the floor. I tried adding thin felt and that failed and now trying thick rug pieces.

The biggest problem I see is the weight of the slide. I'll guess my 12x3 slide weighs near 2000lbs. The outside is supported of course but, half that weight is sitting on a few skids with less than a square inch on each one. So I'm figuring in the area of 200lbs per sq in. Teflon would be better than nylon but, I doubt it's a cure all.

I think the answer to this problem is adding many more skids (or rollers) or even supporting the entire length of the face of the slide by adding say 1x1/4 in wood strips covered with carpet or something soft and durable. At least that's my plan if my rug pieces fail.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
I took strips of carpet and glued them to the slide frame. It keeps the slide from scratching my hard surface floor. JR
jroethke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This product may help link below

Slide-Out Slicker Protectors
Richard S. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide