Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2009, 12:53 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via MSN to twalton
Hi Sam,

I'm not really sure that it's a problem, but my rig ame with a couple of big turnbuckle style devices which go between the wall and the slides when they are retracted. I'm guessing that you can get these at Camping World and they would give you some peace of mind as the slide couldn't extend while the device is in place.
twalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #16

Sam,
Here is some information regarding your slide out creeping.
From June of 1998 until May of 2009 I worked for RBW and then AL-KO when they purchased RBW in May of 2008. I was pretty much the go to guy at the plant. I cut my teeth on Technical Service, wrote manuals and technical bulletins, performed product development, and went into the field for both customer support and field service. I tell you all this to establish my bona fides.

Your room is creeping out probably because the brake is not engaged. You should see a strange looking can assembly attached to the barrel of the motor. I have attached pictures explaining how it works. If everything seems to be in working order, feel free to post back and I'll give you an email or phone number. I'll be happy to help you out. It keeps my brain from turning to mush.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GR-01BK-CAN.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1149

Name:	GR-01BK-nocan.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1150

Name:	GR-01BK-Solid.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	1151
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:36 AM   #17

Now that's what I call Technical Support.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:54 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
dwoodward,

Thank you for your input, the RBW slide system has always been a black hole as far as information goes. I am sure the information you posted will be a benefit to many. As you know National RV used RBW and Powergear for most of their main and bedroom slides, that in itself is confusing to many . The more information available on this forum will make life much easier for lot members. Again thanks for your contribution and stop in anytime.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Now that's what I call Technical Support.
Technical with a capitol T ( great info)
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
D woodward

Thank you for your expertise. However my motor does not look like any photos you have shown. Mine is a Von Weise motor and there is no brake on it or rubber boots, etc as other posts have mentioned. So I still don't know what manufacturer I have. Power gear or RBW.. Edmentuions that they sent him a Magnetic hold kit. Do you know what that is?

Thanks
Samflhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
D woodward

Thank you for your expertise. However my motor does not look like any photos you have shown. Mine is a Von Weise motor and there is no brake on it or rubber boots, etc as other posts have mentioned. So I still don't know what manufacturer I have. Power gear or RBW.. Edmentuions that they sent him a Magnetic hold kit. Do you know what that is?

Thanks
Samflhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #22

Sam,
Your slide system was definately manufactured by RBW. Since you don't see a brake at the back end of the motor, take a look at the motor label again. The last 4 digits of the model number should be AH88. That's a 32 rpm motor with an internal brake. The way the internal brake operates is via the room operation switch. When the switch is at rest, the two motor leads, #1 and #5 on the back of the switch are shunted together. This ties the magnets in the motor together which then pushes the brake disk against the stator to prevent movement. Sometimes, dependent upon how the coach is wired, when you turn off the power switch for the slide room it's actually disconnecting one of the motor leads. That will disengage the brake.

Options are: use travel locks. The best are like load lock bars that fit between the interior wall and the back side of the room trim when the room is retracted. Another option would be to replace the internal brake motor with an external brake motor. Unfortunately, if you do have the AH88 motor there is no provision for installing an external brake.

Let me know what you find in regards to the model number. That will be very helpful.

Happy Trails!

Dale aka The Tech Guy
Old 08-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #23

Dale- seems like if it was a wiring issue, it woulda been that way from the start? Or else something has happened to the wiring along the way, like maybe it was overly tight & coach gyrations pulled something? Just spit-balling. My experience w/things like this that just start happening is that they are caused by something (contrary to what I'm frequently told by service people, "No sir, there isn't anything causing that noise.")
Old 08-28-2009, 11:04 PM   #24

Mike,
It could simply be that the brake is worn, or it could be that the motor is a different one than what I believe. From the power switch aspect, I have no history to work with so I try to cover all the bases. Sam may have recently acquired his Seabreeze or could even have realized when someone pointed it out to him, that by golly I've been leaving the power switch on all these years? So, while some things I say are redundant or even seem like nonsense, I try to anticipate. Often keeps me from or having the person on the other end like this .

Dang, I'm long winded, too.

Oh, and from my service writer days: No ma'am, I couldn't verify you had wind noise at 80 miles an hour. But if you do, just turn the radio up and it will go away.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:40 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good thread with great info. The Power Gear tech manual mentioned in post number 5 has some good info. I've had PG jack problems and now I'm rady for the slide problems. ugh!
Old 08-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Samflhomes,

Dale Woodward has explained it well. The new magnetic brake hold kit is a redesign for a stronger magnet. If you have any more questions e-mail me at ejhessemer@hotmail.com.

Ed
Old 09-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the same problem, when mu rv was still under warranty. Took it to the East Coast National Maintainance shop that used to be in Lakeland FL. The Tech. said the Brake for the Slide is part of the Motor. They changed the Motor and I have not had the problem since.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
I had the same problem on my 03 Dolphin LX with movement of 3/4"to 11/4" . Talked with dealership repair shop by phone and was told the brake was not engaged, but I explained that it was fully engaged. I had to take the coach in to prove the brake was engaged and after checking the shop agreed. After further checking they said the motor was bad and replaced it under extended warranty. That was over a year ago, many miles and many opening and closing of the glide, and there has been no further problem. In my case the slide out is a powergear unit.

Duane
DASA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slideout