Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #1

Unhappy Speedometer problems Dolphin DP

Hello,
I have a '95 Dolphin DP with Allison AT542. Recently the electronic speedo started acting erratically and the quit altogether. I thought maybe the speed sensor on the trans so tested it. I get 12v then ,23v while slowly rotating. Does this seem normal or should it show 12v then 0v as it is rotated.
Any thoughts on where my problem may lie?
Thanks
Panheadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #2

Is the trans electronically shifted ? If so than a speed signal would be necessary as an input to the trans control module to shift the trans. The speed signal to the speedo may come from the trans control module or a buffer module. The signal should be a varying A/C signal.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:03 AM   #3

Hello Fred,
Thanks for the reply to my question.
The trans is cable shifted. Speedo is electric.
You mention the sensor should produce an ac signal. Maybe my test is bad as I was looking to find a dc signal. The sensor is a three wire style which I believe receives 12v dc to function. I powered the red and black leads, and tested at the white wire for voltage as I slowly rotated. I got 12v then .23 volts.
Any thoughts
Old 12-11-2014, 07:10 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Don't know if this will help but Chevy dashboards had a problem with the servo motor that drove the speedo gauge. I found one on the Internet and replaced it myself. Dealer wanted $300+. The needle would jump and stutter then quit altogether.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:54 AM   #5

Hello Shiggs,
Thanks for the input. What does the servo motor look like? My dash is ford but I would think the servos would look similar.
The cruise works off the speedo and of course that does not function now as well.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
Commercial Member

The servo motor is about the diameter of a 50 cent piece and an inch thick mounted to a circuit board. It would not effect the cruse control only the needle on the dash.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #7

That speed sensor set up is different than what I am familiar with, possibly a hall effect type. As long as you are getting a varying signal from the sensor to the module , I would suspect a wiring issue between the module and the speedo.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #8

Thanks Fred,
I spoke with an Allison trans guy here locally and he felt the same way.

Tags
dolphin, speedometer