Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #1

Squeak in dash.

When I bought my MH there was just one major requirement for me to purchase it. That was for the inspection RV Company to find and eliminate a squeak in the driver’s front dash area. They removed it but now it is back. The person who finally found it is no longer with the company and no one has any idea what he did! To pacify me at the time one of the owners said they wedged it, now they say they greased it.

It sounds like a squeaky step. Has anyone else experienced this or know how or what to do to correct it, it is most noticeable when you are going up a hill or on any kind of uneven ground.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I had this problem for awhile and it was bad. I was about to crawl under and start spaying WD40 in the area of the squeak. Then it quit and haven't heard it for a year. Lucky I guess.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
My dash has all kinds of squeaks. Drives me crazy! Does the WD-40 really work?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrFalcon
My dash has all kinds of squeaks. Drives me crazy! Does the WD-40 really work?
I didn't need it in this instance. In the past I have used it and it does work. The biggest problem is locating the sourse and getting the oil to it. Even if you get it to the sourse, it may take an hour of driving before it penetrates enough to stop the squeak. Persistence is necessary for this one. The only other alternative is to take the dash apart.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hope I can explain this well enough to understand. I've had the squeak you mentioned for the past year. It sounded like it was coming from under the driver's side dash area. It would come and go. I tried spraying silicone spray on what I thought could be, but like it said, it would come and go. A couple months ago while driving to a local gas station it would start squeaking while only going about 5 mph. So, while driving on side streets with no traffic, I let the MH coast at 5 mph; tilted the steering wheel all the way forward; stood up between the steering wheel and the driver's side window and pushed on the area where the windshiled post plastic trim meets the top plastic trim. The sound changed. Thinking it might be the front curtain track, I stopped and tightened the screws. I started driving again and it squeaked less. When I got home I removed the windshield post plastic trim piece and there was evidence it had been rubbing against the top piece. (You'll need a right-angled ratcheting screwdriver for some of the screws under the curtain valance.) I placed a piece of auto door molding on the top edge of the windshield molding and replaced the molding. Went on a trip and found that was the problem. However, I could hear the sound of the rubbery door edge molding rubbing but it was much better then the old squeak. I've since removed the molding and the door edge molding. I took a roll of 3/4" wide sticky back Velcro and place a piece of the fuzzy side along the upper plastic trim where the windshield post molding meets it and replace the post molding. I cannot get the plastic molding to squeak at all by just pushing on it whereas I could before. I haven't driven the MH since then, but am confident the squeak is gone. My guess is that the sound traveled down the windshield post molding and sounded like it was coming from under the dash.

On the last trip, the center of the dash started squeaking also. If I pushed on the dash near the backup camera monitor the squeak went away. When I got to my destination, I checked the threaded knobs that attach the monitor to its bracket and found them to be a little loose and allowed the monitor to vibrate. I tightened them and on the return drive home the center dash area stopped squeaking.

I hope this helps you. Good luck finding the squeak. It's a constant battle.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #6

My squeak seems to be coming from under the instrument panel rather than above. It sounds like wood rubbing on wood. I've had my perfectionist friend ride along with me and she thinks that is where it is coming from although the plastic panel running between the windshield and the drivers window does have a couple of crooked screws. I'll double check there.

Kennersonf, I'm going to follow your directions and see if that helps. Only problem is most of the time I am riding alone when I hear it and no way I'm standing up driving this MH. look out!!!
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Having been in the automobile business for over 40 years, I say, "Turn up the radio!"
Old 05-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H
Having been in the automobile business for over 40 years, I say, "Turn up the radio!"
I was thinking the same thing. Lol!
Grandpadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As a follow-up to my former posting (#5). I drove my motorhome today and all the squeaks are gone. Yeaaa!
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:42 AM   #10

I realize this thread is old but it may be useful to someone else;
Has anyone noticed if the squeaks are heard more during low temperatures?
I hear some from my dash and one from the overhead console area. After a few miles depending on the temperature, it goes away. The warmer the faster it disappears. Gaskets get soft after a while and everything returns to normal I guess. Lucky I live in Florida LOL
Swan1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:42 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan1959 View Post
I realize this thread is old but it may be useful to someone else;
Has anyone noticed if the squeaks are heard more during low temperatures?
I hear some from my dash and one from the overhead console area. After a few miles depending on the temperature, it goes away. The warmer the faster it disappears. Gaskets get soft after a while and everything returns to normal I guess. Lucky I live in Florida LOL
I have to along with Ken, our front curtain track is root cause of our squeak, that sounds like a dash squeak. It comes and goes with the temperature, along with the road surface. I have yet to remove the pillar trim, but it's a good winter project.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:51 AM   #12

Try spraying the suspect area with a dry silicone spray.

If that fails---feed the mouse as fat mice aren't noisy!!
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:10 PM   #13

LOL, I did have a mouse years ago, went up in my rear cap and chewed my camera wire. Now that was a project LMAO.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
I have to along with Ken, our front curtain track is root cause of our squeak, that sounds like a dash squeak. It comes and goes with the temperature, along with the road surface. I have yet to remove the pillar trim, but it's a good winter project.

Fred
I tightened up those curtain tracks many times in the past but not that, it's on the driver side. Before my next trip I will try some silicone spray that may work.
Thanks

Tags
dash