Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2022, 07:15 AM   #1

Starter??

My coach wouldn't start yesterday after running it just last weekend. Tested the chassis battery. It was shot. Replaced it but still nothing. Dash lights up, steps and even the levelers work. No clicks, nothing. Am I looking at a starter replacement?
bodybybeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2022, 07:31 AM   #2

To keep your thread up and going.
Provide more information for the IRV2 experts to work with. You may simply have a failed park/neutral switch or something similar.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:40 AM   #3

Bad starter?
Maybe maybe not. You'll have to do some testing to be sure.
With a helper inside the coach to operate the ignition switch you'll have to crawl under the coach and with a 12V. test light connected to a good clean ground probe the large wire coming from the battery to the starter solenoid. If the test light lights you have power to the starter if not you will have to find the open between the starter and the chassis battery.
If you had power on the battery wire probe the small wire on the starter solenoid and have your helper turn the ignition switch to the start position. If the test light lights you have a bad starter. If not you have a bad ignition switch, a bad neutral switch or an open circuit between the ignition switch and the starter. You may need a wiring diagram to aid in helping to trace the wires. There may be other relays or solenoids involved here.
This is a bit of a basic, generic test sequence. It would be helpful if you told us what chassis you have, the engine type and size as well as the year.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:56 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. It's a W22 Workhorse. Engine is an 8.1 Vortec, I believe.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:58 AM   #5

It's a 2006 model year Dolphin.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:42 AM   #6

Solenoids on the 8.1 are known to stick. Tap on the solenoid with a hammer and see if that fixes it. I just changed mine yesterday for the same reason. It had quit on me last trip, and I was blocking the only dump station in the park right at check-out time! Fortunately, I'd read about this problem and gave the solenoid a love tap and it started right up. I didn't want to chance that happening again so changed it out.

I do not recommend tapping on the starter itself, as these starters have ceramic magnets glued to the inside of the case and you run the risk of breaking them.

Of course, it could be something other than the solenoid too, but this seems to be a common problem with the 8.1 so worth checking out.

If you need a new solenoid, the Standard SS736 is available on Amazon for a little over $60. Made in China, unfortunately, but I couldn't find any that weren't.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You'll also need a long E5 Torx socket to remove the starter from the solenoid. Harbor Freight sells a kit (#56343) for $20 that has what you need. They also sell a cheaper kit, but it does not have the E5 socket, so make sure you get the right one.

There also this good YouTube video on installing the new solenoid. I found it easiest to access the starter by turning the steering wheel all the way to the left and sliding in behind the front tire.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:45 AM   #7

Wow...a ton of useful information here. I appreciate the thoroughness of your explanation. Is there anything else you can do for me? Just kidding of course. I will crawl under there and give it a shot if it ever decides to stop raining and snowing here. It certainly sounds like something I can do on my own. I'm trying to avoid getting a roving service out here or having it towed. I'll provide an update soon hopefully. Thanks again.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:12 PM   #8

Lol. It helps that I just did it yesterday, so everything is still fresh in my mind. It's not a hard job, but a little tight under there, especially if you have jacks and a steering stabilizer in the way like I did. Going in behind the right-front tire gave me the best angle to access the terminals. The starter bolts themselves are easy-peasy.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:36 PM   #9

I watched the video you shared. He mentioned to check the starter relay before troubleshooting the starter itself and solenoid. If that keeps my big behind from crawling around underneath, I'll do that right away and hopefully that takes care of it...easy fix, fingers crossed.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:07 PM   #10

Good luck with it, I just had to change the starter on our 8.1L Workhorse P32 coach while at a beachfront RV park on a trip in December, the process is fairly straight forward, but if you do opt to install an entire new starter, be aware you will need a very small E-Torx socket to swap the heat shield over onto the new starter.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Good luck with it, I just had to change the starter on our 8.1L Workhorse P32 coach while at a beachfront RV park on a trip in December, the process is fairly straight forward, but if you do opt to install an entire new starter, be aware you will need a very small E-Torx socket to swap the heat shield over onto the new starter.
True. It's the same E5 Torx socket I mentioned in post #6 above, though I found I was actually able to remove the shield with a more common E6 size too. Not so for the solenoid screws, which required a long snout E5 socket.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:03 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
It may be a bad starter relay. If memory serves the dash ac relay is the same . swap them out and see if that works . The relays on my dolphin are located on the drivers side of the engine bay behind the hood .
Old 01-15-2022, 03:11 PM   #13

Thanks for all the advice. Tested fuses, the relay and neutral switch. It came down to crawling under the coach on the coldest day of the year so far, and tapping the starter solenoid twice as my wife ran the key to the start position. She fired up immediately. I'll need to replace the starter motor and solenoid.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:20 PM   #14

This is good news for you. Good luck with the change-out!

Tags
starter