Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
starter motor dolphin8.1

Hi
I occasionally have a problem turning over the starter motor. If i am going to take it out what is the best way to do the job and what tools do i need. lying on my back looking at the starter there wasnt much room to get at the connections.

Whales
liteship is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #2

Take of the ground side of the negative battery cable first. Then lying on your back remove the starter retaining bolts. It is heavy for the size. Maybe leave one bolt in some of the way so you can push up on the staqrter and remove it the rest of the way. Once the starter is free hang it on a "bent wire coat hanger" and secure close to the mounting point. With it hanging in a better position you can then remove the wiring. Reinstall in reverse order. Also keep in mind that it may have a shim or two, be sure to put them back where they came from. Hope this helps you out.

You can save a lot of money if you take it to a starter/alternator repair facility. But I have always had good luck with advance auto parts ecchange products. (No I do not work for them)
Old 10-18-2011, 12:13 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks George i appreciate the removal tips. ill let you know how i make out. quick? what happened to your starter.

mike
liteship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
starter rebuild

My '05 Dolphin's starter quit working and after calling around to several RV and auto parts/repair places looking for a new/rebuilt one, I took it to an alternator rebuild shop and within a couple of days I had it back all cleaned up and working fine.

I did take the precaution of taking several pictures BEFORE I removed it so that I got the wires back in their correct places.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:02 AM   #5

Are you sure it is the starter? I was having problems with my 01 Carribean deisel and it was the starter relay. When I would turn the key to start, sometimes it would fire right up sometimes I would have to turn the key on and off two or three times.
xxyzx is offline   Reply With Quote