Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2018, 05:03 PM   #1

Steering Issues

Has anyone had steering that is bad about wandering?
I've had our 2003 National Tradewinds 375LE aligned, new shocks, adjusted air pressure and still wanders requiring full time attention, especially at interstate speeds.
We have a Spartan chassis and 330 hp Catepillar engine.
Looking for ideas.
Thanks
Wm Mayberry
2003 National Tradewinds 375LE
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2018, 05:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post
I've had our 2003 National Tradewinds 375LE aligned, new shocks, adjusted air pressure and still wanders requiring full time attention, especially at interstate speeds.
Looking for ideas.
Thanks
Wm Mayberry
Can you verify that you had a precision alignment including rear aligment. If you are for sure the rear end is aligned with the front end then the next question is, Michelin tires on front?, if so, throw them away, they are junk. You need to install a good set of truk tires on the front end. Yes the ride will not be as smooth, but it will drive a whole lot better.
leated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Looking for ideas.
Thanks
Wm Mayberry
Can you verify that you had a precision alignment including rear aligment. If you are for sure the rear end is aligned with the front end then the next question is, Michelin tires on front?, if so, throw them away, they are junk. You need to install a good set of truck tires on the front end. Yes the ride will not be as smooth, but it will drive a whole lot better.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just went through that with mine. Called Freightliner got proper settings and took them into local truck alignment shop. Drove terrible when the got done! Went back and they gave me printout of what they did! Don't know where they got there settings from but it was closer to right when I took it in. I had a local retired front end man look at it and he picked settings right out of his head that almost matched Freightliner's! My local truck alignment shop spent 4 hours making it right 2 days ago at no charge!! Drove like it should on the 50 mi drive home.
"Yes I have 7 brand New Michelin Tires on it!"
I have the IFS front suspension.
I will be off line for a week but will follow up when I return
Old 07-06-2018, 05:16 AM   #5

I had it aligned at Tampa Spring in Bradenton, FL. As far as I know, they did it properly. Maybe I can get it rechecked up here in Tennessee.
Our local commercial tire dealer, who is also a multiple motorhome owner, suggested bigger/heavier duty tires. Said the Michelin 255/80R22.5 XRV tires were more for a lighter weight coach. He suggested 295/75. But that will require new, wider rims. And who knows what else????

Wm
Old 07-06-2018, 05:32 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Installed a Henderson supersteer and it made huge difference.
skyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #7

Mine was a handful as well. Did alignment, had steering box adjusted replaced shocks with Konis. Also found rear hubs way out of tolerance while doing a brake job. Did 3000 miles so far this summer and it is a different motor home. High wind made it worse but not much of a factor now. Getting ready for 2500 miles starting Monday and not dreading it like I did before.
Whaler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:59 PM   #8

Quote:
I had it aligned at Tampa Spring in Bradenton, FL. As far as I know, they did it properly. Maybe I can get it rechecked up here in Tennessee.
Our local commercial tire dealer, who is also a multiple motorhome owner, suggested bigger/heavier duty tires. Said the Michelin 255/80R22.5 XRV tires were more for a lighter weight coach. He suggested 295/75. But that will require new, wider rims. And who knows what else????

Wm
Its not the size of tire. The Michelin X coach tires are made for a more comfort ride, with 2 ply side walls. There is too much side wall flex in those Michelin tires. You need to install a 4 ply sidewall truck tire. Some good front end men that know what they are doing, will tell you the same. Now I am taking it that your front end is tight and has been checked with the rear alined also. Don't let anyone tell you different. Also stay away from these China made tires. Do your homework. Run your tires up to the maximun PSI so you will help with side wall flex. A retired tech.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:09 AM   #9

We actually put some bigger/heavier tires on the front yesterday just to see if there was a difference and I noticed very little. Still some wandering on the interstate.
After weighing, we adjusted the front pressure DOWN to 90psi. That was based on 8600lbs front axel weight.
I'm not sure about the alignment of the rear tires?? Possibly I can get that checked when we get back down to FL.
Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. I'll just deal with it for now.

Wm
Old 07-07-2018, 05:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Looking for ideas.
Thanks
Wm Mayberry
Don't get mad at me But if it still wanders then it Still needs the Alignment done, This time Correctly. - ...

JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:13 AM   #11

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:

The caster specification has a range...make sure it is set to the top end of the specified range.

Also, set the front tire pressures to what is required by the load.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:42 AM   #12

We made it back to Florida just fine. We went from Asheville, NC down Hwys 23, 441 and 129 to Macon, then South on I-75.
It did fine on some highways but on others, it was a constant struggle. Maybe I'm getting more used to it??
I have an appointment with the Freightliner/Spartan shop in Tampa Aug 6. We'll see what they come up with.

I see different opinions about stabilizer bars for my DP. Any thoughts?

Wm Mayberry
National Tradewinds 375LE
Old 07-19-2018, 05:51 AM   #13

Quote:
We made it back to Florida just fine. We went from Asheville, NC down Hwys 23, 441 and 129 to Macon, then South on I-75.
It did fine on some highways but on others, it was a constant struggle. Maybe I'm getting more used to it??
I have an appointment with the Freightliner/Spartan shop in Tampa Aug 6. We'll see what they come up with.

I see different opinions about stabilizer bars for my DP. Any thoughts?

Wm Mayberry
National Tradewinds 375LE
Alignment, first or tires - if you go to a GOOD shop they will fix it add ons Should Not Be Needed! -

Took me 5 tries - Selling Dealer could not / would not solve the problem - finally I took it to a Truck Shop - Aligned and OMG what a difference - what a pleasure to Drive. -

Best of Luck let us know how it comes out -........ -

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:39 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have always had some wandering, but that is inherent with air bag suspension. I have Michellins on the front and Toyos on the back and you can see the difference in the sidewalls alone. I am carrying less pressure in the toyos as per the manuf brochure as based on the weight they are carrying and the difference is in the sidewalls. Don't forget that sometimes it is the pavement surface that makes a difference as asphalt in high use areas develops ruts. I also have found that my Jeep Liberty has a bit narrower wheelbase than my Trailblazer did and it tends to bounce from side to side a bit on occasion and wags the dog.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering