Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2016, 08:28 AM   #1

Steps not fully retracting

I've had a couple of people recently think my steps were not in. Today I looked at them retracted and they are not fully retracting. They do retract but not as tight as they once did. They are very stable and have never given me an issue but I'm being my proactive, hypochondriac self! Any ideas how to remedy or any simple cure?

Thank you.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 08:35 AM   #2

The motor stops when it feels resistance in either its extending or retracting motion. Any binds will affect the operation. Have you cleaned and lubricated all the pivot points, linkages, etc? This may be all it takes.
Indy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:41 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
X2 lubricated all the pivot points
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy54 View Post
The motor stops when it feels resistance in either its extending or retracting motion. Any binds will affect the operation. Have you cleaned and lubricated all the pivot points, linkages, etc? This may be all it takes.
Get yourself a can of Boshield T9 and spray all the moving joints. Problem solved. This is a "Must Have" product for every RVer.

https://www.amazon.com/Boeshield-T-9...=boeshield+t+9
Old 07-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy54 View Post
thank you. No I have not, I have lubricated the pivot screws (?) on the steps but nothing else. I'll try that shortly.

What type of lubricate do you recommend?
Old 07-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Get yourself a can of Boshield T9 and spray all the moving joints. Problem solved. This is a "Must Have" product for every RVer.

Thank you.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:32 AM   #7

Found the issue as the only place with any rust or rub and know when it happened, some can relate...grand kids, getting gas rolled forward to line up tank, someone opened door!!! Now to determine how to remove arm and add washer or bend back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV step issue.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	338.6 KB
ID:	133122  
Old 07-15-2016, 10:37 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

It seems that every week I'm buying something that I didn't know about.

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #9

Quote:

I've used Maxima Chain Wax to lubricate my Kwikee steps for over 15 years:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...FQamaQodZLsOvQ

Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:07 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
At our lot, we kept a 6 ft long drive shaft from a 39 Chevy. We would pry the steps back in line. You can't get them perfectly straight, but You can get them straight enough to work correctly.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
At our lot, we kept a 6 ft long drive shaft from a 39 Chevy. We would pry the steps back in line. You can't get them perfectly straight, but You can get them straight enough to work correctly.
My husband was thinking along those lines. Thank you.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:57 AM   #12

Update. This is what we did, not recommending just sharing….. We used a wide-flat strap, circled the bottom step and hooked it to the truck hitch. With very little tension the steps moved slightly. This was enough to bring them in correct alignment and retract properly. But one real problem came up in this process. A soldered bolt backed out of the top step. After several attempts to JB Weld this (my DH’s idea) the search was on to find a replacement for this carriage shoulder bolt that would fit in the small allowance between the fiberglass and steps when retracted. Several people tried to create one but none of them would work. Someone probably knows where to look for one but to me they were nonexistent. Had it been a lower step or on the other side this would not have been as big an issue with more room to retract. After days of looking and trying different things we contacted an old friend that does welding. He looked at the original bolt, decided it was not damaged and proceeded to weld it in place. With the proper tools and equipment to protect the fiberglass he did the job. Now my steps are perfect again. Moral of saga: Don’t open door when RV is moving!
Old 08-17-2016, 08:55 AM   #13

05 Dolphin 5342

I hade one made at our local machine shop $20.00
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps