Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
STINKY PROBLEM 2003 Seabreeze LX 8341

I have a stinky problem. When I am camping, I get no odors at all from my black tank. However, when I start driving, I get really bad black tank odors inside the motorhome. It doesn’t always happen, but frequently does. It doesn’t seem constant. It will diminish or go away sometime and then come back. I have tried closing all the rooftop vents and leaving the windows closed. That seemed to help a little. I am not sure how the smell gets in. If you stop an open the bathroom door, there is no smell in there, so I don’t think it comes from the toilet. (New seal in toilet,and the mounting flange). I am thinking there must be a partially disconnected vent pipe or something. Has anyone ever had this problem? I have had the motorhome for 4 years and has always had this problem.
Wondering if anyone has a diagram of the black tank venting system. (i.e. routing and access). I have plumbing schematics but no venting.
2003 Seabreeze LX 8341
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2015, 09:10 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Had the same problem in a Tradewind stated using Aqua-chem in both the black and gray water tanks and that poop sell has not bothered us since.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:47 AM   #3

shallow shower P-traps

I had the exact same issue. It ended up being my grey tank. When traveling the water empties from the shower P trap and allows the gases up into the coach. I now fill a small sandwich bag with water and place it over the drain in the shower while traveling in order to stop the orders. Once parked, The P traps are filled and that blocks the orders. I also treat my grey tank on occasion to help. An aquachem pod and 5 gallons of water for the final drive home.
Rorytug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will try blocking the shower drain, but I don't remember the smell being strong in the shower. But I will try anything. Its gross.....
Do you guys use the same treatment for the black water tank in the grey?
I know Thetofrd makes something specific for grey tanks.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
STINKY PROBLEM 2003 Seabreeze LX 8341

I had a similar problem on the 2008 Dolphin we purchased recently.
One of my problems was the toilet seal, wasn't holding water, replaced the seal.
The second problem was in the vent chase. I guess when they put the vent into the tank they only use a expanding foam sealant (can type) that wasn't done too well, I dug out most of the old stuff and resealed the area.
The third I found while fixing the second problem. The hole in the roof that they cut for the vent to exit wasn't sealed. The outside cap to the roof was sealed but the hole in the roof around the vent was open possibly allowing for the fumes to enter the area above the ceiling. Not sure if all the Nationals were done like this or just the last few when they knew they were closing.
Here's a picture of the much oversized hole that I found, that was not sealed. That's the way I found it.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1444237960.962974.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	109001
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I have had the problem before in my old motor-home at times..Smell can come from bathroom sink or kitchen sink. Water evaporates/drains on hilly roads from P trap. We keep sinks plugged or full of water. Something u might try.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:51 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have ABS fittings for a washing machine ? If the washer is not installed, the capped end of the ABS may be faulty, letting gray water tank odors into coach.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #8

I had problems with my old RV especially when I was driving down the road and I would crack open a window. It was the suction bringing fumes back into the coach. I purchased a device that I can't recall the name of from an RV parts store. It cost around $28 as I remember it and it installs on the roof vent. It senses the wind direction either from you driving or just the ambient breeze and causes the suction to go from the tank to the rood the way it was intended to go. Sorry I forgot the name of the device but it is easily found and not difficult to install at all.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:41 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Scooter, but no washer hook ups.
Akcontender, I do have one of those vents. Not sure of the name either.
I did pick up some grey water treatment yesterday. I'll give that a try, and plug the drains.
Last trip coming up this weekend, and I will be dumping at the CG before I leave, so I may not know the answer until next season.

Thank you for the replies.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:47 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We installed these this past week. For them to work properly you need wind so on still days you may get some smell. When moving they work perfectly. On windy days I can hold open toilet flapper and still not smell the black water tank.

http://www.amazon.com/360-Siphon-RV-...60+siphon+vent
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:18 AM   #11

I have no odor when parked, but smell is terrible when moving. I have those moving whatyoucall it's on both. vents. Use twice as much Happy Camper. Still smell. Checked vents not plugged.
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #12

The problem could also be a bad vacuum breaker under the sink... the one under our Tradewinds galley sink failed and in awful grey tank odor
BEACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the 2004 8341 SeaBreeze. We just came back from a trip. No smell what so ever. But my wife always plugs the sink drains and fills with a little water.

Might be worth a try.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:14 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Coloradodude. I will definitely try that tip next year. Getting ready to put the MH away for the winter. I hope it works.

Tags
seabreeze