Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2016, 09:12 PM   #1

Storage Space Under Bed?

I'm a new owner and am moving from a 30' travel trailer. The TT had relatively easy access to the void under the bed for storage. The "new" Pacifica with king size bed and memory foam top appears semi fixed. I have tried to lift it at the foot end and only get it to rise a couple of inches. I'm wondering if the mattress platform is fixed in place with no piano hinge near the head of the platform. Or, maybe, it is just much heavier than I'm use to. It to has a memory foam topper and with it being king size it must be somewhat heavier that the TT queen bed. The TT had two spring piston extenders under it to offset its weight. If no storage under the bed just what is under there except every kid's nightmares.

Gordon
Gordon27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 11:44 PM   #2

New Horizons Owners Club
I have a queen with Memory foam, it is extremely heavy I had to put larger shocks on it to assist in lifting DW could move it before but does it with one hand now.

I don't remember the exact size but i added 3" in length and doubled the pressure of the stock ones, after first trial run piano hinge came fling off so I had to install larger piano hinge on the front.
CDWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #3

Storage

I failed to mention that the king bed slides back and forth across the box beneath it as its slide out does the same. I wonder if there is even a piano hinge on it at all?

Gordon
Old 09-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon27 View Post
If no storage under the bed just what is under there except every kid's nightmares.

Gordon
Just a guess, but perhaps there is a water or waste tank under the bed ? Maybe an outside storage bay ?
My 31K class C has a queen size bed and about a 3' wide section of the platform was removable, but screwed down. I bought it new, but someone before I bought it, had pulled up the platform, enough though it was screwed down. I haven't bothered to fix the thing. My freshwater tank and 12volt pump are under the removable section, and the aft section has outside storage under it. There would be very little storage available in my case anyway. There is plenty of available storage in the rest of the MH, more than I've ever needed.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Pacifica is a DP. Usually the bed covers access to the top of the engine compartment..
Old 09-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #6
SLK

Gordon, there is a piano hinge about 18" from the head of the bed, so with the bed not tilting from the top it makes it harder to lift. I have the queen bed in mine with no lifts. I just made a prop to hold the bed up if I need to raise it up. I found that there isn't a lot of good usable space because of the slide mechanism, but your bed is a foot wider. The memory foam is indeed heavy so on that note, the lift supports would be a good idea. You can Google them to find the right ones. PPL I believe has them in their parts store.

Did you get your camera problem sorted out?
Old 09-06-2016, 10:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Gordon, there is a piano hinge about 18" from the head of the bed, so with the bed not tilting from the top it makes it harder to lift. I have the queen bed in mine with no lifts. I just made a prop to hold the bed up if I need to raise it up. I found that there isn't a lot of good usable space because of the slide mechanism, but your bed is a foot wider. The memory foam is indeed heavy so on that note, the lift supports would be a good idea. You can Google them to find the right ones. PPL I believe has them in their parts store.

Did you get your camera problem sorted out?
Re the TV camera problem I got into the modes, etc. and found a factory default setting. When I triggered that everything flipped to correctly present the real world.

Since the bed frame support box is fixed to the floor and the hinged mattress platform is attached to the slide, installing the normal piston spring lifters would engender special consideration. If their base is attached to the deck closer to the head of the bed and the other end is attached to the bottom closer to the foot of the bed of the mattress platform they would have an angle. This would the piston spring pusher to expand and relax as the slide comes in and compress them as the slide is extended. It is the compression that would assist in lifting the mattress platform. I can only access the end of the bed when the slide is extended. I'll have to get a peek under there to decide whether or not there is enough usable storage space to justify the work.

Gordon

Tags
ace, storage