Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #1

Strange Noise has me stumped

Happened to walk pass the motorhome and heard a strange noise. I have an 01 National Caribbean I bought new. They were only made for a short time. It is a 34 foot diesel on a Spartan Summit chassis. Very similar to a Tradewinds or a Dolphin. It has four house batteries and two chassis batteries (new). Freedom 2000 inverter and two solar panels. I am describing the motorhome to help you diagnosis the issue.
The batteries (all) are disconnected and have been for a week. There is no power to the unit. Upon checking the noise I saw the inverter green light come on briefly and the red light came on as the green went off. At same time a relay would chatter for 10 to 15 seconds. I believe the relay is the interconnect solenoid.
I checked and re-checked battery connections and disconnected the chassis and house batteries ground. Chatter would start again after 30 seconds and continue to re-cycle every 30 seconds. I went inside and found the controller was displaying diem green lights that would cycle back to the red warning light. My Fantastic fan was trying to cycle open at the same time.
I just happened to reach up and turn on an overhead light. That stopped the cycling and everything seemed normal. Anyone have clue what is going on? Long and detailed post but better to describe my issue in detail. Thanks
Whaler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2016, 07:13 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Vaflatlander
I had a similar situation. Mostly a clicking sound. Turned out the solar panels were discharging. If you check with a volt meter at the solar panel fuse you will see a voltage spike. Leaving the light on to absorb the discharge is probably a good idea. If you still have this phenomenon in the dark then all bets are off.
Vaflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:08 AM   #3

I thank you are right on. I went out last night and turned off the light and did have a repeat. Will check it again in the daylight. Thanks
Old 11-10-2016, 12:06 PM   #4

I agree with the solar panel causing the problem. What's really funny is yesterday I was swapping out my 1KW inverter for a 2KW unit. Disconnected all the batteries and I still had 6-19 volts at the inverter DC input. I could hear a click every once and awhile which was the battery paralleling relay. I unplugged the solar panel and the DC voltage went to zero volts.

~Bill
Bill WA6YBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #5

Not plugged in---no AC power
Batteries (ALL) disconnected......no DC power

Yet electric components are energized

Then the only choice left is the solar (or magical wireless HIGH dc energy source which you need to hunt down, capture and patent)
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:14 AM   #6

Thanks all for the replies. Yes, it was the solar panels. I thought it may have been after I made the original post while riding on the mower later. The wiring diagram was not correct and I had to do a little checking before locating the correct fuse to stop the current. Now my concern is the damage that may have occurred before I noticed the chatter.

Tags
noise