Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:32 AM   #1

Surge Guard Installation on '07 Dolphin 6320

Where, exactly, does one install a Surge Guard on this MH?
garyvont is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
The simplest installation would be betwee the camp's power post and your 50Amp cable.

Here are examples (but there are places that offer them at a lower cost)

Search - surge protector - Camping World
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #3

it depends if you want it hardwired in or portable as JJH3rd. said.
pjgolpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:47 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
I was concerned about the "spike" connector and the 90 degree bend in the cable when plugged from the side of the MH to shore power so I hard wired the surge/polarity device to the transfer box and put a 50Amp socket on the end of the 50' cable. I always leave the plug from the surge protector in the "dummy" socket when I disconnect the cable from the shore power (I kow that there "shouldn't" be any voltage on the blades of the plug when the generator is providing power but I don't want "He thought that there wasn't any power on that plug" to be my epitaph).

A side benefit is that the surge protector is contained inside a lockable hatch and I cannot mistakenly leave it plugged into the camp ground power post.

By the way, the plugs & sockets are standard for electric ranges/stoves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1377.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	106252   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1381.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	106253  

Name:	IMG_1384.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	106254   Click image for larger version

Name:	transfer box & surge protector.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	106255  

JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #5

Thanks "JJH..."! I've already purchased the permanent-mount type (before looking to see where I would mount it). I saw that box in the compartment, but wasn't sure exactly what it was. I'm in the process of making a 90 degree bend in the power cable to eliminate that issue. So, do you see any problem, and do you know how, I could wire the permanent surge protector into that box, and still use the original outside 50 amp inlet? Many Thanks for your assistance!
Gary
Old 09-08-2015, 09:16 AM   #6

I like the way JJ did his but I would need to hire an electrician to do mine. I was given this one the Christmas I bought my RV. It is heavy so I use bungee cords to make it tight to the electrical box. It has stopped me twice from plugging in my RV.

Portable Surge Guard with LCD Display, 50 Amp - TRC 34850 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

Good luck.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:59 AM   #7

Sandi...
I have the same surge protector. I am also hooked straight into my transfer case in the bay. I hook the protector at the end of the power cord and plug that into the pedestal. At camping world when you buy the protector they give you (free) a box that you can lock the protector and the cable together. R U near Peachtree City, GA. I have friends there.
pjgolpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjgolpher View Post
Sandi...
I have the same surge protector. I am also hooked straight into my transfer case in the bay. I hook the protector at the end of the power cord and plug that into the pedestal. At camping world when you buy the protector they give you (free) a box that you can lock the protector and the cable together. R U near Peachtree City, GA. I have friends there.
I have the locking box, that is not an issue. The weight of the box has pulled the SP down and almost out, thus my reason for the bungees.

If I could get an electric reel installed in the electric bay area I would have an electrician change my wiring. Without the reel it seems to me you are still fighting that anaconda cord through an extra hole. Anyone know of a reel that would fit?
Old 09-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #9

P.S. I've thought of giving up the dirty close cabinet for a reel, but I think you'd have to by pass the water tank. I put dirty clothes in the W/D so the cabinet is wasted space most of the time.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the hard wired version of the Surge Guard. I installed it myself by following the instructions that came with it. I cut the cable a few inches past the connection to the electrical box but long enough that I could strip the ends and connect them to one end of the Surge Guard. I connected the other end of the Surge Guard to the remaining cable end. The Surge Guard was screwed to the back wall of the compartment and placed horizontally per the instructions. It works great and has saved me more than once. Don't believe the campground employees when they say your electrical problem is either inside your rig or in the Surge Guard. Believe the Surge Guard that there is a problem at the power pedestal.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:30 PM   #11

Thanks to all for your responses! I'm working (thinking) of a way to combine some of your great ideas. Maybe I'll find a better way to handle that "anaconda" (great analogy!).
Gary
Old 09-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #12

At the risk of overwhelming your idea book, I did mine so that if I wanted to change something later, or just bypass it (maybe it broke, who knows?)

If I want, I can unplug the Progressive Industries unit (upper socket), and plug the main line in (move from the lower to the upper).

Now, I probably need to mention that nothing has occurred that would have made this necessary. The PI has done its job. But since you are idea gathering...........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Surge Protector.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	106906  
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:30 AM   #13

GEEZ GUNNY! A back-up, to the back-up! I'm impressed, but you just added another feature to add into my "engineering". ;-)

Tags
dolphin, install, surge guard