Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Swapping Generac to Onan

I have a 1999 Seaview 8310 with the Generac 5.5kw The generac has always given me issues and now wont start. I wanted to go with an Onan without spending too much on my old coach. Found a 2008 Onan 4.0 in good shape with a decent price. I have read that the Onan is too big for my compartment, but I think I can make it fit!
Paulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 08:36 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Vaflatlander
A freind of mine has recently tried that conversion in a1999 airbus with no success. The generac stands the dynamo horizontal beside the motor using a belt drive. This makes for a much smaller foot print than the horizontally linked Onan. You would have to consider air circulation space for the unit to cool properly. JMHO . The electric connection should be pretty much the same.
Vaflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Waiting for transmission jack

I have read that many National owners would like to ditch the Generac and put an Onan in but are told it won't fit. So they keep fixing the Generac.

I am a bit concerned about the 9 inches of length difference but I am going to give it a shot. Not much done yet but I will post pictures

Paulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #4

Looks Doable, I am not a fan of onan gas gens since their carburetors gumm up way to fast and easily. up until i installed a fuel shut off valve right before the carb inlet to shut it and burn off all fuel in the carb and bowl after my trips.
Good Luck!
SDSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSam View Post
i installed a fuel shut off valve right before the carb inlet to shut it and burn off all fuel in the carb and bowl after my trips.
That's a great idea! I will put one in. Right now I am trying to figure out a slide mount. The onan one (026-00298) is over $600 so I will have to make one Cummins Slide Tray Kit 026-00208
Old 10-09-2016, 01:26 PM   #6

That's pricey, I would be happy with just being able to drop it on a floor jack pulling a few bolts only
Old 10-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Pulled it and flipped brackets

So I pulled the Generac and the mounting brackets. I cut the weld off one bracket to use part of it before realizing I could invert and exchange left and right brackets. I think it will make a nice platform to attach my slide to. Looks like I can only use 24" Slides. My concerns are: 1.) will the bin door be in the way if I want to pull the cover 2.) will I be able to support and drop the genset off the slides in the extended position. (with the Generac brackets flipped there is no way I could drop it out the bottom. If I was in a hurry I could slid the Onan in and hook it up at this point - it would be a bear to service.

a few pictures below - more in photobucket here SeaView MH by Paul Anthony | Photobucket

Onan tray will fit.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:33 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Slides arrived

Just got the slides from amazon and it took a week - they dont look very beefy for 500 lbs capacity. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also my generac is available for parts or repair Generac 5.5kw for parts or fix
Old 11-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The install is almost done and fairly clean. Since this picture I wired the DC and fuel lines. It is in and runs locally. I just need to buy more flexible conduit to redo the AC output and figure out the remote/dash control wiring. I only have half the plug and may look for an Onan remote kit.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:04 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
exhaust hit when sliding out

So i did this......
Old 07-16-2020, 04:34 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
3-1/2 year update. The Onan has been great, we just run it once a month (usually to power the A/C while on the road. I spliced in the original generac dash switch and wiring to control it.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:32 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Great job!
I knew you could do it!!!
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan