Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2021, 07:16 AM   #1

Switch for RETRACTABLE POWER REEL

In another thread I discuss my retractable power cord stopping working. I searched and searched for an answer with breakers, circuits, and fuses. Finally, out of curiosity, I was picking up the power switch itself to check continuity and the motor ran for about a second. I couldnt get it going again; but found it does have 12V power in one wire and is a ground in the other. Oh yes, it is 2 wires inside of the switch itself. The next day I picked it up and got a grunnnt out of it......
Now, yes, I have the numberson the back of the switch itself, have searched using them, called every supplier, distributor, and manufacturer of switches and find nothing.
I dont know if it is a spdt, a spd, a dpsdt or whatever. I do remember the motor only pulling the cord in; but maybe it is supposed to feed in and out like the owner's manual discusses..............
They numbers are: E-60272 and LR-39145
There are 2 terminals inside the switch. As well as only 2 wires.
The switch had grown kind of stiff in movement.
Supposedly according to the owners manual it fed in and out. For me it was only in.
It is not a toggle switch but is a rocker switch.

1. What kind of switch is it. SPDT, SPD, or what????????
2. Where can I find the replacement?
3. Is it supposed to feed IN and OUT or just IN, drawing the cord in and onto the reel?

Thanks so much.................
PacificaDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2021, 07:30 AM   #2
YC1

spst Momentary

It is spring loaded to return to the off position.

Post a picture and someone will be able to offer a source.

Just jumper the switch with a alligator clip for a quick retract.

My switch did not extend my cable either. Being a techie type person I did change it and now it powers in and out. That is not a difficult thing to do.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:26 PM   #3

Click on the link and scroll down to the "also known as" numbers.

https://www.platt.com/platt-electric...spx?zpid=39466

If you want a momentary in and out switch, this is what I used to replace the intermittent slide switches in my Dolphin. Won't fit the hole of your existing reel switch but shouldn't be hard to find one that does.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223822212438
Old 12-05-2021, 07:12 PM   #4

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!! I truly want to do this and thank you for all of the help. Any advice that I can use is totally appreciated...... Just a couple of questions. The switch I have NOW is a 2 terminal 2 wire. One wire is 12V and the other is ground.

HOW do I wire the 3 terminal switches you recommend so they adapt to the 2 wires that I have????

Will the motor itself work backwards like we want it to??.......I dont see why not but how do I wire it from the 2 wires that I have????.........

Thanks so much.........
Old 12-06-2021, 03:44 AM   #5
YC1

wiring switch

[QUOTE=PacificaDen;6007726]THANKS FOR THE HELP!!! I truly want to do this and thank you for all of the help. Any advice that I can use is totally appreciated...... Just a couple of questions. The switch I have NOW is a 2 terminal 2 wire. One wire is 12V and the other is ground.

If you truly have just two terminals on the switch and one terminal is truly ground then you are just providing the ground path for the motor. If you put your meter on the switch and activate it the voltage will go to zero.

HOW do I wire the 3 terminal switches you recommend so they adapt to the 2 wires that I have????

If you are attempting to make this motor reverse with that switch it will not work.

It gets more complicated to make a reversing switch but is doable. The switch gets a little crowded so you need plenty of room to mount it.

Both wires from the reel motor are disconnected. Then run to the middle terminals of a DPDT switch that is momentary. Double pole, Double throw.

The supply power and ground is connected to the middle terminals.

The wires that are disconnected from the motor are connected to either end of the switch. Power from the middle wires/poles passes through the contacts to the end terminals where the motor is connected. This gets the motor to run, either way depending on how you wired the positive and ground.

To get it to run the opposite way you have to connect wire to each of the empty terminals. With those loose ends of the wires you just connected, cross them over in an X. Connect them to the terminals where you connected the motor terminals.

What happens now is throwing the switch the opposite way supplies powers to the terminals that were empty, but now they run power back over to where the motor is connected.

Clear as mud?

And then of course someone usually has a good video on it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...oqtsPm9SYqAo18

Old 12-09-2021, 05:10 PM   #6

NEW SWITCH gives me NOTHING

Got a new switch that is a momentary double pole switch. It is a rocker switch that has 2 male plug in terminals and is definately an off and on switch.

A bit quickly about my wires now from the old switch. One has 12 V on it and the other does nothing. When you ground it nothing on the ohm meter. It's hard for an amateur like me to understand; but I plugged in the new switch expecting something to happen but instead just nothing happened no matter how I plugged them in.

I guess now it is time to take out the motor....such a pain as it is on a reel, hooked up to 110V, and is heavy. Any other ideas?????
Old 12-10-2021, 03:31 AM   #7
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaDen View Post
Got a new switch that is a momentary double pole switch. It is a rocker switch that has 2 male plug in terminals and is definately an off and on switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaDen View Post
If it has just two terminals it is a single pole single throw momentary. Confusing a bit, I know.

A bit quickly about my wires now from the old switch. One has 12 V on it and the other does nothing. When you ground it nothing on the ohm meter. I am unclear what you mean. It's hard for an amateur like me to understand; but I plugged in the new switch expecting something to happen but instead just nothing happened no matter how I plugged them in.

The original switch was a simple pass through switch. That is, it took your 12 volt source and passed it through the switch when activated. Measuring with an ohmeter on what you might think is the ground wire should be the coil of the motor which would show close to zero ohms when tested. A simple range change on the meter might show a few ohms but compared to shorting the two probes together might show a few ohms. You could be getting tricked with your digital meter. Short the switch wires together. If the motor does not run, connect your voltmeter to those wires and short them together again. If the voltage goes away, your supply voltage is broken. If the voltage stays constant you have a problem at the motor or wiring.

I guess now it is time to take out the motor....such a pain as it is on a reel, hooked up to 110V, and is heavy. Any other ideas?????

Old 12-12-2021, 07:17 AM   #8

YC1
thumb:

gotta thank you so much for your knowledge and passing it along to me......Will be a couple of days before I get to what you are saying; but for sure am gonna do it and pass it along.....

YES..........I am also looking for and gonna get the DPDT switch that you describe above and try to wire it as you advise.....thanks for your patience with me and help......GOD BLESS...........
Old 12-12-2021, 03:39 PM   #9
YC1

Post a picture of your switch and any diagrams that come with it before you wire it up. Might save you some time.

Old 12-21-2021, 12:18 PM   #10

I was thinking about this today and I would think that a slide switch would work. Or a landing gear switch.

1200W Solar > 412 aH LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 12:49 PM   #11

Here is a link to wiring a reversing polarity switch.

https://www.instructables.com/HOW-TO...sing-po/#step3
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 06:54 AM   #12

Tov61

Looking for some advise here. I have a 2003 dolphin 6320LX. Do not have an electric cord reel. I am older now and have some difficulty with the 50 amp cord. Is there a good electric cord reel conversion kit available that is not too difficult to install?...Thanks for any help

Larry T
Tov61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 08:13 PM   #13

YC1..........you advise:

If the voltage goes away, your supply voltage is broken. If the voltage stays constant you have a problem at the motor or wiring.

I short the wires together and nothing happens. Meaning the motor doesnt turn over or do anything. When I put a meter to this as I am shorting and to a ground on the other side, I see no voltage.
When above you say that the supply voltage is broken? What exactly does this mean? I am getting no power to the switch or what? EXAMPLES PLEASE!!!

What I wonder is, should I just invest $600 in a new motor with wiring or pull the whole reel out, and examine the motor and get a new motor but salvage the reel with all that wiring??????? Thanks
Old 12-29-2021, 08:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tov61 View Post
Looking for some advise here. I have a 2003 dolphin 6320LX. Do not have an electric cord reel. I am older now and have some difficulty with the 50 amp cord. Is there a good electric cord reel conversion kit available that is not too difficult to install?...Thanks for any help

Larry T
Larry, I am not ignoring your request. I guess, judging what replies I get to my latest request will give you a bit of an answer. I wonder where you will get the power for the reel motor.......My disecting of the motor from the reel I have will perhaps give us a bit of an anwer.
I just really hate digging that durn thing out............

Tags
power, switch