Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:35 PM   #1

Tag axle and gas tank nightmare

Hi everyone! Boy when it rains it pours! I need some help with two different problems. First nightmare, we have a 99 dolphin and right before Halloween we broke the tag axle. It sheared off at the tire spindle, exposing the bearings and everything! We were able to put the drum back on so that we didn’t lose braking ability. I’ve contacted at least a dozen different Rv repair places but nobody will take the job. We are able to drive short distances just so we aren’t getting tickets for whatever parking laws are in effect. Unfortunately, in constantly having to move created my next nightmare. I’ll post another thread going into that one. What can I do? What are my options? We live in our Rv. We, meaning my disabled boyfriend, a couple dogs and cats and myself, I too am disabled. We have practically no income and are just trying to survive. Can someone please tell me what I can do? I don’t want to end up truly homeless and having to take my fur babies to the pound.
Redneckgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2020, 04:51 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I would try calling some heavy truck repair places instead of RV joints, many of whom don't actually work on the chassis at all.

I'm sure one of them can help you, although it may be spendy.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:46 PM   #3

Seek public assistance. Maybe their help will cover campground fees.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:32 PM   #4

Where are you located?

So you have no wheel/tire on that side but the brake drum is still there, correct?

I'm not sure about tax axle spindles, but I have replaced them on cars and trailers. On cars they usually bolt on, but some trailers have the spindles welded on, which would obviously complicate replacement. If it's bolt I would think on any competent RV shop should be able to do this, but I agree with the previous comment that a truck repair facility might be a better option. Is it that the RV shops couldn't do the work or wouldn't?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Dolphins of that vintage used Mor-Ryde tag axles with Dexter brakes, so the spindles shouldn't be too hard to come by.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:26 AM   #5

That is what most of the nationals used.
BUTCHPHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:07 AM   #6
PFM

National RV Owners Club
Dexter axles

Try contacting Dexter axle. There should be a tag around the axle with a part/serial number on it. If you give that to them they maybe able to help or give you the name of a dealer near where you are who can help you.
PFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:15 AM   #7

L.A. County Sheriffs illegally took it from me. I've been looking for an attorney to sue the sheriffs dept and the city of Duarte. If anyone knows a good civil rights attorneys that isnt afraid to go after law enforcement, I would greatly appreciate the referral. I need one quick, the statute of limitations is running out.
Redneckgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank