Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #1

The Other Bedroom Slide Pin

I bought my used 2005 Sea Breeze LX a few years ago and always thought the bedroom slide sounded strained when opening and closing. Last year I replaced the shear pin when the slide stopped working. Last week when getting ready to travel, I tried to put the bedroom slide in and the motor just turned with no slide movement. I thought I knew exactly what was wrong and quickly tapped out the shear pin, but to my amazement, it was intact - not broken at all.

I looked around under the bed and found these laying around.

I found that there is one more gear under the bed that is held in place by a cam pin. The previous obviously didn't find the correct replacement cam pin and Jerry-rigged one to work. This, I believe was the source of the noisy slide operation and the reason the shear pin broke originally. I found the right replacement at AL-KO Kober Corp.'s eStore and replaced it. Here's a comparison of the cam pins.

And the finished repair.

Bob C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2011, 05:59 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question?

My 04 bed slide is also noisy. sounds like it is too tight.. So the correct pin is larger then the pin that was in your slide making the noise?
Thanks for the help.
Don
donhoward49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most of the noise can be eliminated by cleaning and waxing the outside of the slideand lube the seals with silicone on a rag. Make sure you get bothe sides of the seal. The seal draging on the rubber seals not only can shear the pins but it can damage the seals.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not sure but it looks like there is a spring pin or two missing on that.. They keep the shaft from sliding so the gear is always engaged with the rack (the long toothed rail)

Perhaps they are just where I can't see them.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
My 04 bed slide is also noisy. sounds like it is too tight.. So the correct pin is larger then the pin that was in your slide making the noise?
Thanks for the help.
Don
The correct pin is the same diameter as the old one. The old was was longer and the former owner bent it so there wouldn't be and slack. I found replacement cam pins at Home Depot that were the same length as the old one, that's probably were he got it. The correct pin is about 1/2" shorter.

I always cleaned and waxed my slide bottom and cleaned the seals. It sounds a whole lot better than before.

I would love to see a parts diagram of the complete slide mechanism to make sure I'm not missing parts. If anyone has a lead where to find one, I would appreciate it. Or is someone could take a picture of a complete assembly, that would be great too.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This guy may be able to help with Tech. Info. link below

https://myrvpartsplacestore.3dcartst...-Outs_c_1.html
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I think the pin that is suppose to be installed is a roll or spiral pin. The roll pin is there to be the weak link. So if there is a binding problem the pin breaks and not the teeth on the gear or the teeth on the track. With the pin you are using something else will break before the pin breaks. Just my 2 cents worth
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #8

There is a shear pin in the system, it's installed in the gear closest to the motor.

There other pin (cam pin) is installed on the shaft directly linking the gear show above and the gear in the original post.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:36 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine is in the shop right now. Among my short list of repairs needed was for them to look at the bedroom slide.. They called and said some nylon pieces that the bedroom slides on are badly warn. parts not as high as labor to pull the slide. We are checking now to see if it is covered on my extended warranty.. otherwise i plan to try waxing the sides... plan to wax it anyway and lube the seals.
Great ideas on here. i always learn something
donhoward49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide