Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #1
SLK

Thinking of an Inverter upgrade.

I'm thinking about removing my original Xantrex modified sine wave inverter/charger and installing a
Magnum MS2812 2800W Inverter with 125 Amp Charger

I would like to wire all my outlets to it so I can have pure sine wave 110-120V everywhere in my coach. Right now I only have inverter power at the vanity, front console and basement. I want to make this the first step in my, one step at a time, solar install.

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #2

My first question would be "do you have enough battery and wiring to power it?" That thing will suck roughly 280 A @ full output. If you are already running that big an inverter it's not a problem. If you are not you need to figure that in too.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
SLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
My first question would be "do you have enough battery and wiring to power it?" That thing will suck roughly 280 A @ full output. If you are already running that big an inverter it's not a problem. If you are not you need to figure that in too.
I have 4- 232Ah interstate 6v batteries and the current inverter is 2000 watt.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:41 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Max current draw on the 2812 is 373 amps and the 2024 is only 133 amps. The difference in charger output is 125 amps vs. 60 amps.

You have 464 amps of battery so do a little math. The 2812 is an excellent inverter as is the 2024. I think you would be happy with either one as both are way more efficient than the MSW you now have.

When you change over, go all the way with new controller, battery monitor, and auto gen start.

BTW, I have the 3012 hybrid and it is a really neat inverter
Old 05-16-2015, 10:59 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I replaced my old Freedom 20 inverter with exactly the unit you're talking about. Excellent choice.

My only comment about it, not a complaint, is that I have never seen it charge 125A. The most I've ever seen is 104A.

Regarding your decision to add wiring in your coach, I applaud your decision. I can't help you with any insights on how to do it.

Good luck.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
SLK

I took the plunge. After much research I found the 3012 for $1574.67 and I also got the ME-ARC-50 for $180.10. This was only 150 over what they wanted for the 2812. I had to pay CA. tax, but got free shipping. It should come pretty fast as IMarine is only 90 mi. away. This place has great prices. You have to add things to your cart to see the actual price. Now all I have to do is figure out how to do what I want.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:04 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Keep us updated on your progress!
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:05 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
iMarine is the best place to buy inverter stuff. I looked long and hard and settled on them. Shipping was first rate as they shipped my inverter directly from the factory to my installer.

While you are at it, you should go ahead and install the battery monitor and the auto gen start
Old 05-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #9
SLK

I ordered the MSH3012M inverter, ME-ARC50 remote and the BMK battery monitor. I passed on the auto-gen start, because I have the EC30 Onan auto gen start. All I have to do is learn how to use it. I did order from IMarine. they beat every other price I found by a lot. I ordered on line Sunday, was shipped yesterday and is on the truck for delivery today. I went on Magnum's site and found that the Magnum inverter is a simple replacement for my current Xandrex inverter. I've been doing research on how to do a whole house wiring install.

Jstdreamin, did you get your outlet problem solved?
Old 05-19-2015, 12:17 PM   #10
SLK

Well, this was quick. After my last post, my wife went out front and found 3 boxes in the driveway. I guess I know what I'm doing today.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:54 PM   #11
SLK

Well, after digging into mt electrical system and talking to Magnum tech support, I think this is going to take a while. I've got some rewiring to do, so I'm taking my time and doing it right. It's definitely not plug and play.

More later, but not today.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #12
SLK

Well, I got the Xantrex removed and found the wiring is inadequate for the Magnum. The Xantrex had a 10 or 12ga power in put from a 50amp breaker and the Magnum requires 6ga from a 60amp breaker. I'm installing another panel and running new wire. While I was at it, I wanted to see how my Progressive surge protector was wired in. When I removed the cover, I found the L1 and L2 input wires had the insulation burned off. It was still working, but I called Progressive for advice. He had me check some things inside and suggested it be replaced. Had I been the original purchaser it would have been under warranty, but I'm not. I could get it rebuilt for $90 with no warranty or trade it in for a new one at $100 off and get a full warranty with it. We are going for option two and it is getting shipped today. I guess it's a good thing I had the protection in place or I might be replacing a lot more. I now have my box, wire and breaker, so the fun begins.

I think I bit off more then I expected, but it will be worth it in the long run.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #13

Lots of good ideas here on how to spent your money. I certainly see the need to move away from the MSW inverter but not sure I follow with the sizeable upgrade in charging and invert capacity. With only 4 6-six volt bats, a 2000 watt model sounds like a better match. You wont ever need/use 125 charging amps on 4 bats, or even 6 for that matter. Few things in a coach require more than 2000 watts inverter [even the microwave] and with only four bats, you will draw them down pretty quick. As for rewiring the whole coach, inverter power at every plug only applies during dry camping and at that point you are limited to what you can run anyway?????. Seems to me you are adding a lot of expense with the cost of the larger inverter, the larger bat cables and the added wiring/breaker boxes--for not much gain in utility--IMHO.....
PS--assume your coach shorepower is 50 amp [on each leg] so why 60 amp breaker and 6 gauge wire for the new inverter????
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:41 PM   #14
SLK

For the most part Old Scout, I agree with you. I'm a bit of a gadget hound and I was dazzled by all the wonderful things the 3012 does over the rest of the choices. This is the first of the upgrades I am eventually planning on. At IMarine the 3012 didn't cost that much more than the lesser models I was considering.

The 6ga wire and 60amp breaker is what Magnum recommends. I was hoping it was going to be a simple R&R. There is a wiring diagram for an existing 50amp system that would be much easier, but the tech guy told me not to do that. Nobody wants to make my life easy. Then I have the hard wired surge protector to deal with also. It might take me a while, but I'll get it figured out. I'm thinking I need to run a new 6ga. wire from either line 1 or line 2 to a sub-panel with a 60amp breaker. Then 6ga. wire from there to the inverter.

Tags
inverter, upgrade