Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2016, 06:09 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have National Interstate insurance through RV America on our '05 Sea Breeze. I got quotes from just about every company when we bought the RV and the coverage and policy cost was by far the best with National Interstate.

We just renewed our policy for the 6th year. We don't have fulltime coverage, but do otherwise have full coverage that includes our car trailer. We've had 2 claims with them and our policy costs actually went down by a few dollars this year:

- 2 years ago to replace both sides of the windshield glass $100 deductable. Took nothing more than a couple of calls. National arranged it all and the installers came right to our house.

- 1 month ago to replace our 13' awning that got ripped from the coach in a windstorm. We had the awning extended and staked into the ground at our house. We were out for dinner and had a severe windstorm while we were out. The *long*, heavy duty stakes got ripped out, awning legs bent, etc. We came home from dinner to find the awning on the roof of the RV. Luckily we did not have any damage to the RV.

The claims process was very easy. I called the next day, sent over photos of the damage and was approved to bring it to a repair facility. The adjuster approved the claim the day after the quote was provided. On a $2,186 claim we paid our $250 deductible PLUS $320. National applied a 35% depriciation on the awning itself (fabric and roller - not legs) which they calculated at 7% x 5 years. To me that is fair, especially given that they did not apply any depreciation for the years before we bought the RV. So in all we paid $570 for a new awning - and I didn't have to do any of the work

Why is the last part making me happy? I was planning on replacing the awning fabric next year as it was starting to show its age, especially the short piece that connects the RV to the awning cover. I did one slide topper last year with Tough Top Awnings - but that is much easier than doing the awning - and I'd likely be spending about $400 to do it myself.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 04:09 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
I am buying a new motorhome titled by my own LLC that technically, I will be personally leasing from the LLC. I applied with an independent agent that sells for several insurance companies and he said that none would insure it for me unless it is titled in my name. I have applied with companies online and having the same problem and still don't know what I will do - will be taking delivery in 2 months but the dealer wants it insured now.
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathon51 View Post
Purchased my '99 Tradewinds last month...my insurance through Foremost is $1170/yr. It seemed a little high so checked Good Sam and theirs is $1600/yr! Yikes! I thought Good Sam would be a bit cheaper than Foremost. Any thoughts?
If you are Full Time....you can not go wrong with National Interstate. They cover both our 2006 National TropiCal LX and a 2002 Toyota 4 Runner. FULL COVERAGE for EVERYTHING inside and attached to the outside of the vehicles (we have a lot of toys...i.e. Mtn Bikes and Canoes etc.) $1800 per year.
Xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnkee View Post
I fully agree B Dubya and would never purchase insurance with them.
I'm more than happy to give my $$ to progressive.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #19

Something to keep in mind if you are full time with no stick-built that has A homeowners policy. Auto coverage does not include personal liability coverage such as your dog biting someone, property damage or injury to someone while not operating, or in and around the vehicle. It can be added to the auto policy for a price.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:58 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Progressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Wndsr View Post
We did Progressive for around $1100.

2002 National Sea Breeze LX 8341
We did full coverage from Progressive through AAA on our 1998 Sea Breeze for $380/year.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
I am buying a new motorhome titled by my own LLC that technically, I will be personally leasing from the LLC. I applied with an independent agent that sells for several insurance companies and he said that none would insure it for me unless it is titled in my name. I have applied with companies online and having the same problem and still don't know what I will do - will be taking delivery in 2 months but the dealer wants it insured now.
Don't know about leasing, but ours is owned in a trust name and no problem getting insurance. We have Progressive with an umbrella policy from Chubb. Why do you want it owned by an LLC?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #22
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
... will be taking delivery in 2 months but the dealer wants it insured now.
I don't understand. You have not yet taken delivery, but the dealer wants you to insure it? Wouldn't any issues (claims) that happen while in the dealer's possession be his problem? Or, does he not have insurance in his dealership? Or, he wants any and all potential claims to be charged against someone else's policy instead of his (thereby keeping his rates down)?

If I am buying a car, or a house, or tenant's insurance on a rental apartment/house, I don't start coverage until I take possession. What makes this any different?

What am I missing here?
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:28 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
That's right. The dealer is storing it until I am ready to pick it up, and if something happens to it, like storm damage or something, doesn't want his insurance to get involved which I think is understandable.

I got a good rate from one insurance company, but does not take fulltimers. My regular insurance agent is not licensed in Montana where it is titled. Some don't accept leased RV's, and others won't insure unless it is titled in my personal name. Basically, getting insurance in my situation is a mess. - -
Old 05-24-2016, 10:31 PM   #24
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
That's right. The dealer is storing it until I am ready to pick it up, and if something happens to it, like storm damage or something, doesn't want his insurance to get involved which I think is understandable.
OK. Got it. That makes sense. In other words, you already own it and he is storing it for your convenience. Thanks. Sorry I cannot help with the search for insurance.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:46 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

I got a good rate from one insurance company, but does not take fulltimers. My regular insurance agent is not licensed in Montana where it is titled. Some don't accept leased RV's, and others won't insure unless it is titled in my personal name. Basically, getting insurance in my situation is a mess. - -
You're not the only one that has run into that from what I've read!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:43 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
It's getting worse! Today, a The Hartford Insurance agent told me that they would only insure my motorhome if I also insured another vehicle with them, and my motorcycle does not count. Still
Old 05-26-2016, 06:54 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I wouldn't be providing insurance before I'd bought and paid for it, not that any insurance company would sell it to you before that. Legally you have no "insurable interest" in the property until it's titled in your name (or the title application has been submitted).

Our dealer wanted us to prove we'd be able to get insurance before the order was submitted. We were able to satisfy that request with a simple quote. Your inability to get insurance is, apparently, related to your LLC/lessee relationship and I'm guessing the LLC exists for no purpose other than to avoid sales taxes. Can't help you with that, you may need to rethink that strategy. I'm guessing again, but I suspect if the LLC was an actual company providing services or products that the ownership and use of a motorhome was integral to they'd have a different view of the prospect. Not sure what the issues are though, keeping them from underwriting the exposure as you want??? You're not breaking any new ground here, thousands have gone before you doing the exact same thing, I suspect most of us know people that have.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Call Garden City Insurance
Garden City Insurance
Missoula, MT
866-444-1084
ATSpringHil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance