Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2019, 05:26 AM   #1

Tire size change

I have a 2001 national dolphin. The OEM tire size is 245/70/19.5. For some reason the previous owner put drive tires on the steer axle. They are now cupping really bad. The OEM size seems harder to find than
225/70/19.5. I have already researched the size differences. I am okay with the slight drop in tire height. I will only lose about 3/4" in width. I am only looking to change the steer tires now. Would it hurt to change the tire size on the fronts now and leave the rears the OEM size till I'm ready to replace.
the replacement tires will/ should meet load ratings.
shelbyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2019, 05:43 AM   #2

The cupping isn't due to tire design.
I would have the alignment and balance checked before I replaced the tires.

As far as a bit smaller tire, as long as they are designed to carry the weight of the front axle, they should be fine.
The important thing is not to overload them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:46 AM   #3

For Goodyear G670 tires the load ratings are 3,640 lbs Vs. 4,540 lbs. I would NOT give up that load carrying capability.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:47 AM   #4

No I do not believe so. The coach tracks okay. The tires on there now were not designed for the steer axle. The outside "knobs" are cupping creating vibration and bad road noise.
shelbyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:52 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
245/70/19.5 tires are available all over the US. and internet. IT is a standard size on the 2019 Ford RV chassis
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:24 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As long as you put the same size tires on both ends of the same axle you will be alright.
PS; roll out distance is the important factor on tire size.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote