Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #1

Tires, Jacks, and Steps

It all started innocently enough. Take the RV about 50 for M to stay in while volunteering in Jerome. Simple enough. Ready to leave and the jacks down alarm won't stop. OK, pull the fuse for now and check it out when we bring it home.

Found the right front jack is leaking, so after I get it home crawling under it why not check out the step that has been spongy for a while, the same one I broke a few years ago, lowering the way off level rig, with the door open and a block acting as a step that was way too close to the steps. Anyway, the step came down the block and broke a pivot bold, and I fixed it, kind of.

Found out that the long bolt holding the step frame to the RV frame had pulled through. Easy fix, found some old shock bushing washer in the odd parts pile and bought a longer bolt and that took care of that.

The leveling jack, not that easy. Read, searched and researched the fix or replace options here and other places. Seems that I have the pre 2004 Power Gears Jacks that were no longer supported. Newer jack kits have the same numbers, but it now states that pre 2004 had a finer threads and no longer supported, even though I had an old copy with the same kit number. I think the kit was above $200 but not sure, I quit looking and forgot about it. I found a local shop in Chino Valley, AZ. Called them and they said sure, bring it in. $110 later and I have it resealed.

In the mean time I have ordered a 20V impact wrench for the RV tires and used it to reinstall the jack. It was so much better than the air wrench that I fell in love with a few years ago.

While moving the wheel/tire around I let it fall on the ground... just at the wrong place. I had left the tire extension on the valve stem and it hit a rock and broke the valve stem off.

So I take the wheel in to have a new valve stem installed. They told me the tire was bad, broken cord and tread separation. The tire was ten years old so replacing it was not a bad deal, except I might as well do both as they are the same age. I ordered a couple of Hercules tires and came home to remove the other one and get it in the truck to take in the next day.

So $500 later I'm back home, front tires back on the rig with new impact wrench and everything is looking good and in working order.

Except for the the hydraulic fluid tank. It's been eight year since I changed the fluid so this would be a good time. I drained just over a gallon from the resuivor and put in nearly two gallons in. It had leaked more than I thought.

All of this started with just a little little drip...

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #2

Ain't life great
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, steps, tires