Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #1

TOO many questions... :)

while I have your attention... and have not hit the books... WHAT is the filter/gauge indicator ... located in the rear outside compartment/driver side... next to the 50 amp electrical box... ??

And what air pressure in tires to get started...

NEW tires... needed... let me hear your input please...

where is air compressor connection?

What size/inch drop receiver for towing a dolly do I need?
USMC1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1968 View Post
while I have your attention... and have not hit the books... WHAT is the filter/gauge indicator ... located in the rear outside compartment/driver side... next to the 50 amp electrical box... ??
And what air pressure in tires to get started...
USMC1968
WHAT is the filter/gauge indicator
Mine indicates the condition of my air filter.
And what air pressure in tires to get started
The PSI listed on the inflation table by/from the manufacture of your tires, (based on the weight they carry).
The first set of 6 Goodyear tires on my coach were replaced at 8 years, (71k miles).
The 2nd set, also Goodyear, at 7 years (with 56k miles).
The 3rd set, (Michelin XZEs), ONLY lasted 3 1/2 years, (<10k miles), before I had them replaced a month ago because of the thousands of cracks that had developed in the sidewalls.
I don't know, (my coach has none).
Whatever "inch drop' it takes is to place your tow bar at the level specified by the tow bar manufacturer, (when your toad is connected to your coach).

Mel
'96 Safari, 136k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:59 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congratulations again on your new coach!! I have the same model but a 2005.

Correct, it is air filter condition in the rear driver's side compartment.

Access to coach air is in front driver side basement compartment. You will see the lines and manifold on the front wall of the compartment. If there is not a quick connect installed, just pull one of the plugs and install one.

Tires are a whole other conundrum and you will get lots of opinions. I currently have Michelins and they are fine. There are many quality manufacturers across a wide price range. Shop based upon size and load range. Inflate tires based upon weight of coach as directed by tire manufacturer chart. Weigh each corner of coach and adjust to meet load requirements.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
The Michelin purchase program through Family Motor Coach Association is reason enough to join FMCA.

As posted, you'll find a manifold in the compartment at the front left. For peace of mind, you might put a ball-valve between the manifold and whatever you plan to hook up. There is plenty of room for a self-coiling 25' hose.

Now that you know that device is the air filter indicator, reset it before your next drive and get a "fresh" report after some full throttle runs. Or do as I did and assume all the filters need to be changed, reset the indicator and get a feel for what a new filter reads. I got a stunning amount of dirt out of the old air filter when I replaced it.

Changing the air filter is not fun. The body of the filter is held in place with over-center clamps. You can lever them loose with a screw driver, but hooking them back up takes long arms and decent ability to work blindly.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
The Michelin purchase program through Family Motor Coach Association is reason enough to join FMCA.
USMC1968 (& mbrandt1402)
In 2011 I paid $25 each LESS than the quoted FMCA price for 6 Michelin tires when I bought them at Sam's Club.... saving $150, (and the cost of a relatively useless FMCA membership), by NOT BUYING my tires through the "so called" FMCA Michelin Tire Advantage Program.
IMO, (and experience), believing advertizing HYPE usually costs you more!

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Mel, that is good to know. The closest Sam's Club to us didn't have any tires in the correct size no matter what brand. My steer tires were only a couple of years old and I wanted Michelins to match them.

IIRC, I saved nearly $100 ea compared to the best price I could find from the usual tire stores.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
Mel, that is good to know. The closest Sam's Club to us didn't have any tires in the correct size no matter what brand. My steer tires were only a couple of years old and I wanted Michelins to match them.
IIRC, I saved nearly $100 ea compared to the best price I could find from the usual tire stores.
mbrandt1402
The Sam's Club I went to didn't stock any tires in my size either.
But they did give me a price and order my size Michelins, (they had them in less than a week).

However I no longer recommend Michelins to anyone. (for reasons explained in post #2 on this thread).

Mel
'96 Safari