Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2018, 03:35 PM   #1

Towing question

Because the gas powered engine restricts me to 5000 pounds I’ve been thinking of a way to be able to tow my car and touring motorcycle without exceeding any limits . I finally found a trailer called tandem tow where the front of the car sits on the axle of the tow dolly and there are perpendicular rails to put the bike Or bikes up on. HDXL model i’m just trying to determine how to figure out the tongue weight on all this . I’m rated for 500 pound tongue weight. I’ll be telling a Toyota RAV4 small SUV which weighs 3500 pounds so maybe 1900 pounds will be up on the dolly. My motorcycle is about 960 and the trailer itself is 1100 lbs . All the pictures I’ve seen are diesel pushers. I’m going in tomorrow to a trailer hitch place which is across the street where I’m thinking of purchasing the trailer and seeing if this scenario will work. I already have a drop-down hitch on my rig because the back and was so tall when I towed my small motorcycle trailer so I might have to get a different one maybe a little beefier. Has anyone with a gas engine use this type of trailer just curious
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9620BCD6-692A-45F8-AC53-C022F5118DBF.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	189035  
Topgunwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
The Tandem Tow Dolly looks like an interesting solution to hauling a motorcycle and car. You might be ok on tongue weight since the system incorporates adjustments for this purpose. However, it looks like the 5000 lb limit on towing capacity of your coach is going to be exceeded by almost 500 lbs.

My suggestion would be to call the manufacturer and talk to them about your particular set up. I didn't notice anything on maximum towing speed but most of us drive at 62 mph anyway. FWIW I prefer surge brakes to electric.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:41 PM   #3

The 5K towing limit is not a function of your gas engine. In fact, and F-53 chassis as delivered from Ford has 10K towing capacity. Most motorhome manufacturers limit towing to 5K due to structural changes they make regarding frame extensions. However, there are F-53 chassis based motorhomes with a towing capacity greater than 5K pounds.

I know that doesn't address your question or your problem but thought you might want to know.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:47 PM   #4

Thanks And I normally set the cruise about 65 . not one of those crazy people to do 75 or 80 towing anything!! I’ll find out tomorrow
Old 01-16-2018, 10:48 PM   #5

Thank you
Old 01-19-2018, 06:15 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 5K capacity is the limit on your hitch.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
The 5K capacity is the limit on your hitch.
And most likely, your frame design. Replacing the hitch will not increase your towing capacity.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:00 AM   #8

Thanks for the responses I am good now thank you

Tags
tow, towing