Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Tradewinds Graphic and gel coat cracks

I have a 2003 Natioanl Tradewinds that has developed fine cracks in the graphics and now gel coat cracked right through. I bought unit 4 years ago and all was fine. I brought it to Alberta and unit is stored outside in the winter. (-30 C) The problem I am experiencing is ONLY on the one side, the side facing North. Each winter more fine cracks appeared and this past winter a full crack in the Gel coat appeared on 45 deg angle from the window. Strange part, no fine cracks on the drivers side at all. My question is has anyone else experienced this issue? Can the gel coat be repaired from the outside? Does anyone know where I can get graphics for 2003Tradewinds LTC 7395? My concern is that I get it back up to new and the same problem happens. HELP has anyone got ideas? Winters coming...wonder what will happen this winter.
sparks602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I have a short crack from the corner of my refrigerator vent door. I talked to someone else who had a similar crack on their LTC. So far, ours has not grown. I would take it to a fiberglass repair place if it is a problem. I think the graphics on the LTC are painted rather than stickers. They appear that way on ours. No problems on the road side, I don't know why.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I recently had new graphics applied to my motorhome. They also completely buffed out the fiberglass and it looks almost like new except for the cracks you have described on the driver's side. They show through the new graphics and are only where the old graphics were. I bought the motorhome new and keep it parked in my driveway. The driver's side faces south and gets the brunt of the Sun. The passenger side has always looked like new. My guess is that the former owner had it parked in the opposite direction and this is the cause of your cracks appearing now. I was told by the graphics installer that this is not uncommon.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Cracks on LTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by submustang View Post
i have a short crack from the corner of my refrigerator vent door. I talked to someone else who had a similar crack on their ltc. So far, ours has not grown. I would take it to a fiberglass repair place if it is a problem. I think the graphics on the ltc are painted rather than stickers. They appear that way on ours. No problems on the road side, i don't know why.
appears this is an ltc issue. For me the gel coat is too thin. Will check if i have graphics or paint. I know there is a significant paint line between the graphic and paint. Not sure if poor paint job or graphic is a lot thicker. My crack in gel coat is actually 45 deg of corner of fridge. Sure it has something to do with temp changes as the cracks do not change in the summer, only get worse after being parked in winter.
sparks602 is offline   Reply With Quote