Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #1

Tradewinds Inverter

Hi all,

I have a 2000 National Tradewinds 37' diesel that I inherited from my dad (and therefore cannot ask questions to him). The RV was being serviced, and when it came back, the shoreline plug had clearly been shorted. They "checked it out" and replaced the plug, but it appears to me that the inverter is not working as I think it did.

My question to you those that have the same or similar model -- when the inverter is turned on, do ONLY the GFCI plugs (bathroom and kitchen sink) work? Or do more of the 110v outlets work?

This question is best answered by someone that has the same year (2000 Tradewinds), but anyone with a similar year/model would be welcome as well.

Thanks in advance!

Neil
neilticktin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Neil:

Only a limited number of the outlets work on the lower amperage output of the inverter. It includes those outlets for the televisions.

Of course all the outlets should be powered when on the generator or shore power.
DKStall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:51 AM   #3

the Shoreline cord/plug would have nothing to do with the inverter...

now, the inverter 'might' only serve some outlets, but larger models, 2000w or higher, are used to power ALL outlets, which also includes appliances that plug into outlets(even when the outlet is hidden).

but to your original concern, are you 'plugged in' to shore power when you are concerned about the inverter? if so, the inverter simply 'passes thru' shore power, or generator power, while you are plugged in, even if it's not 'ON'.

if you are on the Inverter, which is ON, and not on generator or shore power, then your outlets should be LIVE, at least the ones wired thru the inverter, which you can check with a simple plug-in fan to see if they work. Check your main breaker panel, too, as you could have a tripped breaker on one of the circuits. The labels for each breaker are also a give-away to what's on the inverter because one of the breakers on that 'side' will be labeled 'Inverter', or similar.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKStall View Post
Only a limited number of the outlets work on the lower amperage output of the inverter. It includes those outlets for the televisions.
The question is which ones should work when on inverter, not on short power, and without the generator? For example, the microwave works, but the toaster oven outlet does not seem to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
the Shoreline cord/plug would have nothing to do with the inverter...
So a surge through the shoreline couldn't impact the inverter?

Quote:
now, the inverter 'might' only serve some outlets, but larger models, 2000w or higher, are used to power ALL outlets, which also includes appliances that plug into outlets(even when the outlet is hidden).
For clarity, "larger models" here means the inverter size, right? In other words, if the inverter is 2000W or higher, then it would power all outlets?

FYI: It would appear that our inverter is 2000W.

Quote:
if you are on the Inverter, which is ON, and not on generator or shore power, then your outlets should be LIVE, at least the ones wired thru the inverter, which you can check with a simple plug-in fan to see if they work.
The problem is that not working now doesn't mean they shouldn't be working. There was definitely a massive surge put through the shoreline.

That's why I was asking which ones worked on this model. So, if anyone has that model and year, I was hoping to know whether the inverter powered all or some of the outlets.

Quote:
Check your main breaker panel, too, as you could have a tripped breaker on one of the circuits. The labels for each breaker are also a give-away to what's on the inverter because one of the breakers on that 'side' will be labeled 'Inverter', or similar.
Will do. I've checked the panel before, but found nothing wrong. I'll look again with this in mind, but I'm 99% sure that this is not the issue.

Thanks!

Neil
Old 04-18-2018, 05:32 AM   #5

NRV was not consistent in doing everything the same even between the same models. Most likely you will have power to the TV, the microwave, frig, one outlet around the kitchen area ( ours is overhead by window) and the bathroom.
Whaler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler2 View Post
NRV was not consistent in doing everything the same even between the same models. Most likely you will have power to the TV, the microwave, frig, one outlet around the kitchen area ( ours is overhead by window) and the bathroom.
Thanks! This is helpful -- as none of our non-GFCI's are working. As a clarification...

1. Which year/model do you have?

2. When you say around the kitchen area (overhead by window), is this on the couch side or the kitchen table side?

Thanks!

Neil
Old 04-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
FWIW our 2002 7390 Tradewinds also has a 2000 watt inverter and we have the outlets for the tv (front and back), the outlet on bottom of cabinet by kitchen window, the microwave, outlet under dinette booth, GFI in bathroom and outlet on right hand side of vanity in bedroom and outside outlet all work from inverter. On Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter there are two circuits at least on mine. Check to see if one of them has tripped.
F5150us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Generally an inverter in the 1500-less than 3000 range powers GFCI chain. Entertainment systems and Microwave Some may not even power all entertainment systems...

Smaller inverters won't do the Microwave. Larger may do more.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:10 PM   #9

Anyone with a 2000 National Tradewinds?

If anyone with a 2000 National Tradewinds happens to read this thread -- still trying to figure out the inverter. Some outlets are powered, some are not -- even GFCI ones are not all powered, which seems odd.

If you have this model, and the 2000w inverter, can you tell me if the follwing outlets work on your rig?

- outlet above the kitchen table (underside of cabinet to right of coffee maker)
- GFCI below kitchen sink
- outlet above kitchen counter, near couch, underside of cabinet.
- bedroom outlets next to the bed

Thanks!

Neil
Old 07-02-2018, 07:22 PM   #10

I have a 1998 Tradewinds, I was having a similar problem some outlets working house batteries not charging etc. I took it to a rv dealer they ended up putting in a new inverter. Next trip out I had the same problem, using a meter on my shore cord I discovered that I was only getting power to half of my breaker box. Previous owner had done a very sloppy job of wiring one of the cord ends, one leg was disconnected causing me all these problems. The company did reduce the bill by all the labor and I have a new inverter that I probably didn't need, the learning curve of owning a motorhome. Good luck.
eltyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:06 AM   #11

Eltyboy,

Thanks for the post! If you can help me with one last thing... now that you have this all figured out, which outlets work and which don't when you are running ONLY off of battery, and through the inverter?

Thanks!

Neil
Old 07-04-2018, 07:19 AM   #12

I will be getting it out of the shed this weekend and will try and give you an answer
Old 07-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltyboy View Post
I will be getting it out of the shed this weekend and will try and give you an answer
Thanks!
Old 07-07-2018, 07:27 PM   #14

When I got my motorhome out of the shed I discovered that I'll have to replace my house batteries so it will be a few days

Tags
inverter