Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:30 AM   #1

Tradewinds slide hard to move

Hello,

We bought a 1998 Tradewinds last week. The slide is slow to extend and we have to help push it open the last 12" or so. It will not retract on it's own. Moves about 2" and gets stuck/stops. Haven't tried helping it in yet. Before I dive too deep into this I thought I'd ask for any pointers to save on wasted energy.

Thanks!
csracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 09:33 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Make sure you are level and have good power, either plugged in, have the motor running, etc. Also make sure there are no obstructions in the way.
My '99 T'winds was slow also
Old 07-27-2021, 07:57 PM   #3

Coach batteries are fully charged and plugged in. Slow would be ok, but again, it's slow to open then gets stuck and we had to push it open the rest of the way.

I don't see any obvious obstructions. I assume the mechanism is behind the plastic cover under the slide along the chassis? Is there adjustment(s) to these things?
Old 07-27-2021, 10:37 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I always extend mine with the engine running...you should notice the rack and pinion system in the bays beneath the slide on the drivers side. The motor is probably in the forward storage bay. You should be able to watch the system working while someone else is retracting it.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:34 PM   #5

Put slide out and check bottom of floor under slide to see if it is dragging. I have a 2000 Tradewinds and the floor was dragging on the main floor and caused it to shear a pin. I donít know if yours is the same as mine but mine had glides that the slide moved on. I had to make some for mine. I ordered HDPE plastic round stock from grangers supply and made some brackets to mount them with. It works fine now. They are not as complicated are you may think. I had to install one under sink and one outside under rear of slide.
c richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:36 PM   #6

thanks for the tips C Richard. I'll look into it soon.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:57 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Slide Fix

My 04 Dolphin BR slide was sluggish and squealing. I was told to wax the bottom with Motherís car wax, which I did , and it works perfectly smooth with no noise. Of course the slide must be open to get underneath and you must use Motherís brand. I keep a can in the bay and when it starts the noise again in about a year or so, I put another coat on it. The gears are not suppose to be lubricated from what I have read.
Wildabeest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, wind