Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I would like to install a 50amp automatic transfer switch on our 08 Dolphin . Has anyone done this? If so, what brand switch did you use and what if any problems did you encounter. I have installed a automatic gen start and need the transfer switch if shore power should fail. I do not know why National chose not to use a transfer switch other than to save money.
newk72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I would like to install a 50amp automatic transfer switch on our 08 Dolphin . Has anyone done this? If so, what brand switch did you use and what if any problems did you encounter. I have installed a automatic gen start and need the transfer switch if shore power should fail. I do not know why National chose not to use a transfer switch other than to save money.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I put one in my 5th wheel, bought the switch from Ebay. I really didn't encounter any problems, biggest issue is accessibility to the wiring. If you're electrically inclined, go for it.

Otherwise, leave it for someone who understands electricity and wiring.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is what NRV used on my 07 SeaBreeze.
http://www.escousa.net/Merchant2/merchant.mv?&Screen=PR...5N&Category_Code=EP5
I did have a problem with mine once, I like what you have better. As it was told to me there are two types of automatic transfer switches, those that have failed and those that will.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:47 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Are you sure you don't have a transfer switch? My 06 Dolphin has one, it is located in left rear compartment with the telephone and cable hookups.

2006 Dolphin 5355
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:54 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
This coach does not have a xfer switch. If you unplug from shore power, you must plug into a receptical in the bay to get power from the generator to the coach. To take advantage of the auto generator start, it requires a xfer switch or you cannot get power from the generator to the coach. I installed the auto generator start mainly to protect our pet in case park power should fail. Should this occure the gen will start and the a/c will continue to maintain the preset temperture. It also monitors the batteries and will start if the voltage drops to a preset level. I note that Surge Guard has a unit that combines the xfer switch with a surge guard for $600 to $700. Has anyone tried this product? I have never had a problem in 12 years of RVing, but it only takes once to fry everything in the coach. Again thanks for the replies.