Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triangular Skylight Issue.

We are noticing that there are pine needles coming into the shower stall, and some rain water spots after driving. Went up and saw that the 2-layer Skylight is seperate, upper plastic open all around the edges???

And the lower plastic is sitting on a black gasket, and the needles are blowing in up over the gasket.

Has anyone dealt with this issue before, replace gasket? Where do I souce the gasket, or are there other alternatives of this gasket at local Auto stores?

Thanks for the help. Edouard.

Coach: 08 Dolphin 35C.
Edouard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi, surprised no one seems to have the type of skylight I am referring to. I found out that the manufacturer is apparently Fox Lite, I have an email off to them for assistance, will post with results.
It behoves me to think National RV would put an open unsealed upper portion skylight on an rv which rolls down the road blowing water and debris under it!!!
Perhaps it was a consious money saving installation before closing up shop???
Old 10-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Could you post a photo of it? I don't know if I have seen one like you are describing.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I think most if not all are double-layer skylights, but I cannot imagine what you describe. Even with what you describe, I cannot picture how the pine needles are getting through BOTH layers of the skylight plastic! I have a large triangular skylight on my coach (build date May 2002) with no indications of any problems ...certainly nothing like yours sounds like...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am wondering if it is a regular vent with an MaXXaire over it. From the sice they have a triangular shape.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
I see online that Fox Lite makes skylights for mobile home and RV applications ...and aircraft canopies!! But I could find only mobile home skylights on their website ...some in two or even three layer. Did National use "mobile home" skylights on their RVs ??

It would be interesting to see a picture of the skylite in question...
Old 10-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi everyone, I did manage to go out and take several photos this afternoon, just need to figure out how to post it here for you.
First, I incorrectly titled my issue Triangular, it is rectangular, the shower is triangular, and it is a two layer version, I too visited the Fox Lite site, it appears National RV installed a Mobile home skylight, it looks like an original install, the upper layer is just screwed through the sides into a vertical plastic box, and the lower layer is sitting on top of the vertical plastic box seperated only with a black type gasket, which is deteriorated somewhat allowing debris and water to pass and fall into the shower stall, fortunately it is lipped in such a way that nothing can actually filter into the roof cavity. Any idea's on how to post the photo's here? There is no indication on this Quick Reply format of an attachement clip. Thanks, Edouard.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Now that you have the shape correct you may get more response. Both suppliers below have what you need.

http://www.foxlite.com/

http://www.jfreeman.com/skylights.html#skylights
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fox Lite Rv Skylight Issue.

Hi, rec'd the following reply today from Mark at Fox Lite:

"Hi Eugene! If it is our skylight the outside dimensions are roughly 17.5 X 25.5. it is a curb type skylight. It is attached to a curb with screws (horizontally) going throught the veritical flange of the skylight into the vertical side of the curb. We did not provide national the curb, which was formed in fiberglass. This is a far better set up than the flushmount skylight method and we sell mostly flushmount to the rv industry. National did it right. You do not mention if there is any visible damage to the skylight. If there is none, the problem is not the skylight. Often where the water enters the roof cavity and where it becomes visible can be some distance away. If there is no visible damage anywhere on the roof near the skylight, your next step would be to water test. It takes atleast two people ie. One on the roof and one inside watching. Do it slowly. If you have any questions email or call 800 233-3699 ext.109. best regards mark hopkins."

I then phoned him as suggested, he confirmed it was indeed a Fox Lite skylight, but not the black sealant, which can be replaced with a closed cell draft stop available at a local Home depot or Lowes.
He did confirm that the two layer skylight is indeed headsealed together, and there appears to be no infiltration between the two, it is just the black sealant that is comprimised, so I will get that replaced/repaired.
Here are a couple of photos indication the design and leaf & needle entry between the skylight base and the top of the curb. Be interesting to know if there are other Dolphin or National Rv Products out there with a similiar skylight. Thanks. Edouard/Eugene.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01753.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	6177

Name:	DSC01751.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	6178

Name:	DSC01754.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	6179
Old 10-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My skylight is the same type as yours 2007 Seabreeze. Not having problems with mine. I did reseal the curb mount to the roof. From your photos it looks like you need to seal around your curb at the roof those crack will let water in for sure.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Richard S, yes I will also reseal the bottom of the curb at the roof, I did notice the crack line, although on close inspection it is not cracked right through, so I will be removing the old sealant and replacing with Dicor caulk when we are in florida, and warmer weather.
Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
After repairing the sealant, I believe I would apply Eternabond tape around the entire skylight over the OUTSIDE piece and overlapping the sealant. I can see and think of no reason why there should be an open area there, other than to collect dust, moisture, leaves, junk, etc. This looks like the classic situation where Eternabond would be a great solution.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Paul" Thank you for your comment, I tend to agree with you, there is no reason to leave that overlap open, as you say to collect dust/debris etc.
I kinda worry that the wind/rain force would put some upward pressure under that overlap, perhaps caused the original problem with the sealant.
I also question the horizontal screws which penetrate into the vertical curb that could leak, does not look like a suitable technic for a moving rv, may work great on a Mobile home.
Your suggestion with Eternabond would resolve all of the concerns if I am able to also cover the screwheads aswell.
We'll be heading by a Camping world down in florida, will pick some Eternabond then, and I'll have some warm weather to work on it. Thanks again, Edouard.