Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
big dog , I was talking about the length of pipe! I think mine was the factory install judging by the amount of rust and seized bolts I had!Yours sounds like a retro fit or something with a 3 foot flex pipe, I was just curious how far to the rear the pipe failed, mine failed about 5 inches from the muffler on an originally solid pipe, I guess your failure was further back to the rear near the 90 bend before the tail pipe exited the coach....just an fyi for me since I do some of my own repairs and I considered doing a set up similar to the one you had issues with, glad In didn't now, sorry for the first confusing post... and thanks for the info, the new muffler and reducer along with 2 clamps and the fitting to the flex pipe cost me $260.00 for the parts here in canada for anyone who might want to know, did the install myself relativly easily...hope you never have to use those new extinguishers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Just some info to add here. When I had to replace the tail pipe on my 99 Tradewinds, I called Freightliner Help Line to find the part number. They said it was out of production and not available but the guy E-Mailed me the Engineering drawing. I was able to send it to a shop that bent me one up that fit spot on. Here is a link to the drawing I got. https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...2766057%212755 It's dhe file named "CCF12122010-00000 Original" I was considering using Flex and am sure glad I didn't have to now.

Dick
Old 04-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am considering either the Halon system or a 5# or 10# CO2 bottle.It seems that the cost is about the same,but the halon seems to work best in an enclosed area such as behind the fridge. What with all this traffic,mebbee this should be moved to the general MH thread..
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
I checked my Tradewinds and there is no flex pipe.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
Hey guys... might look at this... it's cheap insurance against fires.
Fire Fight - SS-30 Small-Format Automatic-Release Fire Extinguisher
A lot of people are putting them in the back of refrigerators but they would be great in an engine compartment too.
Actually extinguishers are cheap insurance AFTER a fire starts. Given this one started off in the corner and an engine compartment extinguisher mount is typically basically directly over an engine this event would never have triggered the automatic temperature trigger extinguisher until way too late.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On boats when you have a automatic fire system go off, we would shut air off to the area so you get max use of extinguisher. I wonder how effected a system would be if a fire started and you are under way with lots of air . I would think you would need a large system to work in a vented space.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We're here in the Orange Grove rv park in Bakersfield and hot talking to some of the guys around us and it was very enlightning.Several of them have extinguishers ,but hevem't checked them in years.Two more didn't remember where they were snd were gonna go and look for them.Another checked his and neither of them were good.There was one guy in an older Winnie,slant nose gasser,that had a small halon behind his fridge and a larger one in the engine compt.He also was carrying two 5# co2.It seems that he had been on a trip with a friend when the other guys gasser caught fire and burned up.To the ground and they almost didn't get out.They lost a cat which freaked,but the dog beat them out the door.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
There is a bi-- annual check of your extinguisher that should include a check of the pressure guage to make sure it is in the green... and if it is an 'abc dry chem' it should be tapped on the bottom with a rubber mallet or tapped on the ground to prevent the retardant from caking near the bottom,with a co2 the cone should be clean of cob webs or animal nests and the hose checked for cracking if there is one... if you do it when u change your smoke detector batteries it will become routine and not forgotten, and those with older coaches should check the hydrostatic test date on the bottle to make sure it isn't out of date .Although extinguishers are important...while sleeping, maintaining your smoke detector(vaccuming and changing batteries) and replacement of older Smoke detectors should be a first priority...getting out is the most important, for those who have never thought about it close your eyes and try to find your escape hatch widows and practice operating them blind and also your front door handles, they may seem straight forward but might be more challenging than you think, when it's dark and your excited.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewellz View Post
if it is an 'abc dry chem' it should be tapped on the bottom with a rubber mallet or tapped on the ground to prevent the retardant from caking near the bottom
I'll admit I've never heard that before but it sounds logical and worthwhile
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On boats we had to have all fire equipment checked every year, the insurance company's made mandatory. The inspectors always tapped the dry chemical extinguishes. I guess MHs are not as critical .
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #25

We have a 2001 39 foot tradewinds LTC as well as a friend has one also. We both left the same day from Branson Missouri returning to Dallas by two different routes. A hole rusted out in top of his exhaust chrome tip causing a fire. They had to replace the entire back cap on his coach. I was very lucky. After arriving home I noticed my whole chrome tip was gone.
Just for information the 37 foot tradewinds exhaust out the driver-side, the 39 foot exhaust out the passenger side and they have a flexible exhaust pipe that runs under the oil pan
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #26

The fire extinguishes

WE always carry tree of those too just in case is better that be sorry,even out side we have one. good tips, also the smoke detector very important,to have check up .
dinkie0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
while it is always good to have fire extinguishers, even multiple extinguishers, however once the first extinguisher is put in to use, someone else should be calling the fire department. This is in case the fire gets beyond your extinguishers. Once you get to that point, you are risking your entire coach as well as your life.

As a retired chief fire officer I have been called out on both scenarios. With heat sensing gear FD's have now, they can search for fire spread without having to tear things apart, except when absolutely necessary. i have also gone out on scenarios where it was beyond the ability of the fire extinguishers and was called too late.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragman View Post
We have a 2001 39 foot tradewinds LTC as well as a friend has one also. We both left the same day from Branson Missouri returning to Dallas by two different routes. A hole rusted out in top of his exhaust chrome tip causing a fire. They had to replace the entire back cap on his coach. I was very lucky. After arriving home I noticed my whole chrome tip was gone.
Just for information the 37 foot tradewinds exhaust out the driver-side, the 39 foot exhaust out the passenger side and they have a flexible exhaust pipe that runs under the oil pan
Interesting, I have a 2001 7390 (not the LTC) and my exhaust is solid and goes out the drivers side. Wonder why they did that to the LTC, what engine is in it??
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote