Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tropi-Cal Window Replacement.

Need Some Help..

I have a 1998 National Tropi-Cal and have a window problem.

The window in the living room/salon (identical to the one in the dining area) was broken recently.

One of the two panes of glass shattered, luckily being safety glass, it hasn't blown out yet.

I had a local glass company (Glass Doctor) come out and they gave me an estimate of just over $1,200 as they are saying that the entire unit needs to be replaced, verses just the broken pane..

So, two questions..

a. Has anyone had any experience with a broken window in the living room and replacing it?

b. Does anyone know who made those windows for National and possibly a part/model number?

Thanks.
CaptMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
bkb

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had a 1997 Winnebago that one of the panes above the sofa shattered. We were traveling so insurance paid Glass Doctor in Waco, TX to put in a temporary. When we got back to California it took 2 months through our insurance to get it replaced at no cost to us. We have Hartford Ins and they use Duncan Systems to coordinate the installation. They sent a guy in a truck to our home to do the replacement. Check with your insurance I think glass replacement is 100% covered. Hope this info helps
bkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Sounds like a gotcha rip off price. ....
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I have had creeping seals replaced in two windows. The windows can be completely disassembled so it is not necessary to do a complete replacement.
The guys that did our repairs had glass with them to fabricate replacement panes if they broke one.
I suggest you get another quote.
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #5

I have a 1999 Tradewinds that had creeping seals. Like another said, the window, frame and all can be removed, then the glass removed from the frame for replacement. I got a quote for $350 to remove the frame and glass and reseal the dual pane glass. Since I had several to do, I removed the frame and removed the glass from the frame myself and delivered the glass to the glass shop. They charged me from $65-$100 each to replace the seal depending on glass size. I could have delivered the frame and glass to the shop but elected the least expensive route. Lot of labor involved. I had to remove valances, shades, parts of cabinets, etc to remove the frames. Go slow and keep track of everything. Can give you more detail if you like.
gregger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, window