Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:57 PM   #1

Tropical 12v in line fuses??

Ive lost 12v power to 4 ceiling lights, vent with fan and ac control box.
The 4 lights, front ac and electric opening roof vent with fan are all down the center of the rv from the front, drivers seat, to the rear, right before the bedroom entrance. I have a 97 Tropical 235. Other lights all still work, over the kitchen window, living room slide, bathroom and bedroom.
This also is causing the wall thermostat to be dead, so the furnace cant work. Plugged in or on battery. Anyone know of any in line circuit breakers anywhere in a 97 National Tropical? I know there is 120v going to both air conditioners when plugged in, but without the 12v getting to the ac control box, it wont work. And the fact all the 12 volt lights, vent fan and ac are all in row down the center on the ceiling, and failing simultaneously, somethings been cut or interrupted. I think. A fuse or breaker somewhere seems logical. Any ideas where such a fuse or breaker would be?
I have checked all breakers and fuses I can find. And reset every breaker I can find. I'll keep searching. Thanks for looking.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2019, 06:06 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our Topical is a 2008 so they won't be identical but our shore power and 12v breakers are in the front of the bed frame in something that looks like a drawer but covers the panels. When you find it on yours and make sure that the breaker is not popped You can take the 12v panel off and check to see if there is 12v coming off of the breakers that might power it. Do not defeat the breaker, get another one to replace it if it is bad.

Another way to approach it would be to remove the thermostat from the control panel and see if there is 12v going to it. Check for loose connections. In an emergency you could find another 12v source to feed it but only of you really need it.

Let us know how you make out.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:08 AM   #3

Geez I had this same problem on an 05.... I found that the fuses in the panel were good and that there was power to the lights, fan, and power panel to the AC units...

HOWEVER the ground wire was open... I only assumed that the ground wire is someplace where the connector can vibrate and eventually the wire fails..

In my case I opened each of the AC units and ran an additional ground from the 12v ground wire to the chassis ground on the AC unit... actually either wire (1) would have done the trick but I didn't know what kind of load these wires would see, so I ran (2), one on each AC unit... I used a 12 gauge wire and tied into the 12V ground wire in the ceiling.... as soon as the connection was made all the items listed worked fine....

I just couldn't see opening all those items and looking for a bad ground...
Old 09-27-2019, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
Our Topical is a 2008 so they won't be identical but our shore power and 12v breakers are in the front of the bed frame in something that looks like a drawer but covers the panels. When you find it on yours and make sure that the breaker is not popped You can take the 12v panel off and check to see if there is 12v coming off of the breakers that might power it. Do not defeat the breaker, get another one to replace it if it is bad.

Another way to approach it would be to remove the thermostat from the control panel and see if there is 12v going to it. Check for loose connections. In an emergency you could find another 12v source to feed it but only of you really need it.

Let us know how you make out.
I'll be looking for that! I have a fuse box and circuit breakers in the bedroom, in a cabinet down low near the floor. Pretty close to the bed. Not sure if were talking about the same thing, but i'll be looking. Last night I borrowed a different 12v connection, that was working, and connected it to the ac control board and Bingo, the thermostat lit up and has life! So at least I know I made my connections correctly. And yes I am sure rewired everything as it was with the original air conditioner! So I still need to figure out why I'm not getting the 12v from the original source, but at least I can have heat and or ac for my last 2 weekends of camping this season!
Kahoona, Im going to post a picture of my fuse panel and circuit breakers (that I can find) maybe you could tell me if its similar to the panel you are speaking of.
And maybe someone could tell me how to properly "quote" stuff. LOL I dont think I do it right!
Thanks, Cory
Old 09-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
Geez I had this same problem on an 05.... I found that the fuses in the panel were good and that there was power to the lights, fan, and power panel to the AC units...

HOWEVER the ground wire was open... I only assumed that the ground wire is someplace where the connector can vibrate and eventually the wire fails..

In my case I opened each of the AC units and ran an additional ground from the 12v ground wire to the chassis ground on the AC unit... actually either wire (1) would have done the trick but I didn't know what kind of load these wires would see, so I ran (2), one on each AC unit... I used a 12 gauge wire and tied into the 12V ground wire in the ceiling.... as soon as the connection was made all the items listed worked fine....

I just couldn't see opening all those items and looking for a bad ground...
Jelag, Was it just your air conditioners that weren't working, or ac and random lights and fan?
Old 10-01-2019, 02:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
I found my 12v panel!! In the bedroom, behind the 120v circuit breakers, in a cabinet by the floor, if you remove the screws, hello! Never realized that was there! Of course if I lay on the floor to get a good look at the circuit breakers, it was then I saw in small letters, "fuses inside". I had to laugh at simple this was once I knew where this fuse panel was/is. I love fixing my own stuff. Even if it takes me weeks! Now I know. Thank you everyone!!
Cory
Old 10-02-2019, 08:57 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IhaveNOname View Post
I found my 12v panel!! In the bedroom, behind the 120v circuit breakers, in a cabinet by the floor, if you remove the screws, hello! Never realized that was there! Of course if I lay on the floor to get a good look at the circuit breakers, it was then I saw in small letters, "fuses inside". I had to laugh at simple this was once I knew where this fuse panel was/is. I love fixing my own stuff. Even if it takes me weeks! Now I know. Thank you everyone!!
Cory
You have to laugh or cry, or both in their time. Glad you won this round. By the time this RV is used up you will be an expert.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:53 PM   #8

Feels Great! I cant wait until I can post about my new roof! Apparently I'm a better roofer than electrician!

Tags
fuse, fuses