Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #1

Tropical writing table behind pass. seat

Greetings!

Took delivery of a 1997 Tropical 6350 on 12/20/2013, getting a crash course in cold weather full time RV'ing in southern MI.

I want to remove the little slide out table behind the passenger seat. I only see two screws near the top, but it will not budge. The electrical / phone wires on side are not visible, so I figure there must be other screws hidden. I hope not to destroy the desk taking it out, but if that's the only way, so be it.

Has anyone removed this item? I want to put a small computer desk in this spot. The rocker / recliner was removed as soon as I parked the coach.
profhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I removed that table from my 2001 dolphin a few years ago. I know there were more screws than 2. Right now I don't remember how I got to them. If you don't get another reply to day I'll look a the table in my basement this weekend and see if I remember.
mike9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #3

okie dokie!
Old 12-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I do remember that the electric wire went through the floor. There may be screws coming up from the compartment below.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #5

see where wire go thru floor, but no screws from underneath. Water in that compartment, darnnit.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I looked at the table I removed.
It has 2 screws at the top that go into the wall.

It has 2 screws at the bottom that go into the floor. If you remove the electrical outlet you should be able to see them. You have to pull the table up as they are under the table top when it is in the stored position. I don't remember for sure how I got them out. I have small hands and can get my hand in the electrical outlet hole so I have have done it that way. If you can't get them out you should be able to pull it away at the top and pull the screws out of the floor. Or get a pry bar under the front edge and pry it up. Sorry I can't be more specific on how I got it out.

Mine was also caulked to the wall all the way around and it holds fairly well. You might peel it off or use a utility knife to carefully cut it away.

Good luck and welcome to joys of trying to figure out how they put these things together. They certainly never planned on repairs.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #7

No doubt on repairs!

I removed dinette & put 'puter table there for now. Will work on little table in spring. At least I know where to look now.

Thank you!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I removed mine a few days ago. This is what it took!
The lid comes off by removing the two exposed screws on each side. The bead of sealant against the wall needs to be carefully cut to release it.
The table surface will now lift out vertically.
There are two screws into the wall at the top and two more into the floor you can reach through the opening. My cabinet was still stuck tight by the sealant on both vertical edges. Cut it carefully so you don't damage the wall.
I have a duplex outlet that stuffed back thru the hole to allow me to remove the cabinet. The AC wire comes up thru the floor. I also have the motor wire for my Weatherpro awning thru the floor and wall behind the cabinet.
3M adhesive remover cleans up the sealant on the wall without damaging the surface.
Hope this helps!
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0392.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	53871   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0393.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	53872  

Name:	IMG_0394.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	53873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0396.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	53874  

MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:58 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I cant believe that you people are removing that small table in back of the copilot set.
I have a 1997 dolphin my self and I bought it new and I use this small table all the time even when I am on the computer.
But I guess we all have our own way of doing things.
I realize thats part of the fun about having a M.H.
It's being able to make changes where ever you want.
I wish you all well and may you have a lot of happy traveling.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:33 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/beau...ar-185915.html

The world works in mysterious ways. You might be interested in my thread here. And by the way thanks for the view behind this thing you saved me some stumbling around.

If a person wants to leave the recliner there the table is useless in my MH. Others must have more room or they parted with the recliner.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I removed mine to make room for a new unit similar to what they put in the Islanders. I am also fabricating a new cabinet beside the passenger seat that will include an extension of the heat duct all the way forward to work on that cold area around the dash.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike, I would love to see your plan or pictures of the install. I am going to do something with that cabinet as well and received some good ideas from my thread in particular recessing the fire extinguisher into my new cabinet. My intention is to wind up with a wider and deeper cabinet which accommodates all the things that kind of sit around (dog leashes, reading glasses, TV remote etc.). I will do the fabrication myself as well.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Norm:
This is what is in am Islander.
I am building an 18x24 cabinet with a door on the back and a furnace vent on the side. My Corian top will be more conservative.
I will send you an e-mail about the other stuff.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Islander Cabinet.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	53930