Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
Tov

TV Video Control Center

Purchased a Quest Video Control Center to replace the old Winegard unit. I don't believe I am getting 12V to the new unit. I plugged the 12V leads into the new unit. Is there a fuse somewhere that could be blown? If so any idea where to look for it?.......Does the separate RV Modulator have an effect on the Video Control Center?......I suspect a lightening strike cooked the old Winegard unit. I have replaced the Video Control Center, the RF Modulator and the roof antenna head.. The Digital converter is working and I have TV stations coming into the converter but I get a "weak signal" message on my TV. Previously in this same geographical location I received over 40 channels of excellent digital TV.....I obviously don't know much about electronics, but maybe someone can explain it so even I can understand it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2003 Dolphin 6320LX
Tov is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First, the quest unit very likely is not a replacement for the Winegard,

The winegard units contained not only RF-switching (not video) but the power supply for the Amplifier in the batwing, this is whey they need 12vdc. In addition they may have contained a rf-modulator for the DVD (this is a mini-tv station) and it too eats 12V

Your new switch it appears uses an external modulator (no problem there) and likely does not provide power to the antenna. The box may well not need 12 volts.

There are two alternate ways to get power to the antenna's booster by the way.. The first, and cheapest is to use a Bias-T adapter, Winegard calls it a "power inserter" it is a small cube, looks a bit like a 2-way splitter takes 12 volt in one port, one port marked ANT goes to the roof and one marked TV goes to the switch.

The hundred dollar option is the Sensar Pro "Wall plate" replacement.

And I put one of those in, Made a BIG and I mean BIG impovement in my OTA television reception.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:10 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced my old Winegard Video box with the Quest a couple years ago and it works fine. If you push the power button and the red light comes on, then you have 12v power in the box. The power is only needed for the powered Winegard batwing. You talked about a lightning strike. It might have ruined the coax in the batwing. The batwing coax has a butt connection just under the top roof mounting plate. I had to replace my batwing coax last summer on a trip because I had no digital channels coming in. Replace the old RG-59 with RG-6. The butt connector just under the roof was corroded from years of condensation (no roof leaks) which rusted out the coax center wire. When I replaced the butt connector and old batwing coax I got excellent reception. Here's a related link if replied to. See post #2 http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/2-problems-172461.html
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:17 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a 12V tester you can unhook the coax at your Sensar head and check to see if it is getting 12V. Knowing if it is or not will go a long way to trouble shooting backwards.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
Tov

The light is not coming on when I push the "on" button on the Video Control Center. I have plugged in the 2 wire 12V connection to the control center and have screwed in the connections on the back of the Video control. I am thinking there is a blown fuse somewhere but I have no idea where to look....Thanks to all for helping...Tov
Old 02-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
Tov

I have traced the problem to the coax. Can I access the coax from inside the coach?...Tov
Old 02-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tov - Refer back to my former post #3. You have to remove the batwing mounting plate to get to the coax. I can almost guarantee you it will be the butt connection just below the mounting plate.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
Tov

I finally gave in and took my RV to a repair facility. I am not in good enough physical shape to work on top of the coach...Thanks to everyone who helped...Tov
Old 02-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let us know how it works out and what the issue was.