Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Can any of you Sea Breeze owners see if you have these catch containers on your bedroom slide or is this something that has been for added to my rig to try and fix this problem?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #17

I've never seen one on my 1311. Why would a manufacturer make a catch basin for something that is not supposed to leak?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:17 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I've never seen one on my 1311. Why would a manufacturer make a catch basin for something that is not supposed to leak?
I never saw these until I got flat on the floor and looked under the night stands. Never had a clue they were there.

I can confirm after the rains last night that the water isn't overflowing these basins and unto the carpet like my original thought. It is coming in at the floor level though.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #19

Ya made me go open my BR slide and look. My bad. I apologize. There are Tupperware lids under each night stand. I also found a 1" x 3/8" air gap I need to look into.

Does it only leak when the slide is open?

Old 04-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #20

Again, does it only leak when the slide is open?

Old 04-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #21

Here's a pic of mine, and yes, that is daylight showing. I plugged the holes on both sides with some closed cell foam that I glued to the wood above the hole. That black stuff is something that got into the RTV before it dried. I can't see any signs of a leak on either side.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drip Bin1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	37142  
Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting, now we have two owners with the catch basins for water leaks..That would make you think it is factory made. I can not get to mine right now, its in the shop chasing a leak on the front, but I will be looking around the bed slide when I can.
Don
Old 04-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #23

They sure look the same, so must be factory made.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Leak

My Dolphin leaked in the same place. Here is what I did to stop it. First I removed and replaced all of the old caulk from the top seam and around the ladder supports. Then I scraped the caulk from around the rear window and all the joint seams in that area and recaulked.
I then pulled up the carpet from that corner and used a hair dryer to dry the area.
Wait for a good rain then check the area.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #25

I had the same problem if you stand out side with the slide out and look where the the side gasket meets the bottom gasket that is where there was a gap I filled it with caulk for a temporary fix,later i fixed it right, dry as bone now.
zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep, my 2004 has the catch pans, about 4 inches long.. Dry right now, I wonder if they are their to catch the drips as the slide comes in? Kind of like a refrigerator evaporation pan
Any Ideas..
Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
Yep, my 2004 has the catch pans, about 4 inches long.. Dry right now, I wonder if they are their to catch the drips as the slide comes in? Kind of like a refrigerator evaporation pan
Any Ideas..
My theory is that they are there to catch any water coming in from the slide opening and then let that water run back out into the slide frame opening in the body of the coach and then out the weep holes in the outer frame.

Am I the only one to have weep holes in the outer bottom frame?

I thought my leak was from water getting into the bottom frame opening after leaving the catch pans and then through the mitered corners into the body. That may still be the case but I have found 1 major cause of my leak(s). Any Sea Breeze owners and perhaps other National RV owners should take a hard look at the pic and explanation I will post here shortly. I was shocked at what I found.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
So once it stopped raining, I got out again and started looking for the sources of my leak. I have determined that one of my leak(s) is from water is getting into the slide itself and then dripping out between the bottom steel frame member and the outer fiberglass/plywood skin.

So I started my search around the top of the slide. It didn't take me too long to find one source of entry.

The outer slide trim pieces on my Sea Breeze are made of aluminium and are mitered joints in the corners. At each corner of your slide there is a inner plastic trim piece that covers this miter joint, there is no outer trim piece to cover this joint.

I found one roof corner of the bed room slide where the trim pieces were cut a little short and thus the outer miter joint didn't come together and I had a gap. There was no sealant in this outer seam. All the of the miter joint seams should have sealant in them otherwise you have a direct point of entry.

The plastic trim piece on the inside was only sealed on one side! You can see where the little bit of sealant was - and that was all there was folks! There was also a missing screw in the top half. When I took the trim piece off, I found about a 1/4" gap in trim joint and direct access into the slide framing! Here is a pic of what I found:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ufs1ucrgz...122426_658.jpg

I found a nearly identical problem on one corner of my living room slide; missing top screw, CRACKED trim piece, little sealant.

I'm sorry I don't have a picture of the trim piece in place but there is one on each corner of your slides, top and bottom. Be sure to look them over very carefully!

I have had my Sea Breeze for almost 2 years and this is the first time I was aware that I had a leak. There is no evidence of a leak in the living room slide but I could have had water entering there as well and not known it.

I had another monsoon come through after sealing this trim piece and I am happy to report that while I still have water coming in from somewhere, it is greatly diminished. The carpet in the very back corner of the bedroom slide wall is still getting wet, but not nearly as bad, so I still have a problem.

Glad to know that I am not the only owner who has those catch pans. Dunnar, your setup looks identical to mine, even to the piece of weather stripping that is to the right of the pan. I had thought this might be some hack job but it appears that it is factory.

Tags
leak, water