Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #29

Since I have never had a leak that I know of, I'm not taking the trim off. My MH was stored in a warehouse before I bought it. Besides, mine is a 1311 and may be different. As far as I can tell it is factory sealed pretty good all around my slides.

As far are as my drip pan looking the same, I think the gasket to the right is part of the lower slide seal.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Seal.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	37355  
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Since I have never had a leak that I know of, I'm not taking the trim off. My MH was stored in a warehouse before I bought it. Besides, mine is a 1311 and may be different. As far as I can tell it is factory sealed pretty good all around my slides.

As far are as my drip pan looking the same, I think the gasket to the right is part of the lower slide seal.
Interesting, you don't have the plastic trim piece. It would cover the top screw right below the slide roof line seen in your pic.

I will take a pic of it when I get back to my rig tonight.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #31

No, it's all sealed. All around where I can see.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Here are a couple of pics of the plastic trim piece I was talking about. The top piece had hardly any sealant around it, the bottom one was well sealed. Yeah, I know the sealant around the top piece is ugly, was more concerned about getting it sealed well before the next rain storm came through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130422_164144_494.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	37395   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130422_171941_453.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	37396  

Old 04-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #33

Now your post #28 makes sense. Just checked mine, and it appears they put my slide on upside down. I have the trim pieces, but only on the bottom. That's the first place I'm gonna check if I ever have a leak in that area. Will check my buddy's WH `04 the next time I see him.

That little black spot looks like a hole in the pics, but it didn't when I had a death grip on the ladder with one hand and the camera in the another.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Dunnar, I think you may be missing the top piece. My rig has these plastic trim pieces on all 4 corners of each slide. It looks like you have a gap in the metal trim on the top corner? I did too and you could see right down into the slide framework when I took the plastic trim piece off.

Another rain storm coming tonight. I've caulked everything I can think of. But I haven't found anything else that looks like a problem.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Thought I would mention not to forget to check that the screws are tight and caulked too.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #36

I don't have them on the lounge slide either. Will have to take a better look at the BR top with a better ladder. Don't know if it makes a difference, but this a 1311 on a F53 chassis.

As I said, no signs of previous leaks.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I don't have them on the lounge slide either. Will have to take a better look at the BR top with a better ladder. Don't know if it makes a difference, but this a 1311 on a F53 chassis.

As I said, no signs of previous leaks.
Interesting that you don't have that trim piece on all corners like mine. Doubt that the chassis makes any diff, I have the F53 too.

Like I said, I had no signs of a leak either until the carpet got soaked in that corner. But it is obvious now after looking closely at the very bottom of the slide (under the night stands) that I have had water intrusion for some time.

We had more rain today but I can't tell if I have it fixed as I left a electric heater going all day while I was at work. I've decided to go ahead and finish taping all the roof seams with eternabond even though I can't see any obvious crack in the sealant. I'm going to tape the slide joints as well.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #38

I bought it used 5/11, and even though the PO kept it in an air conditioned warehouse, there must have been a time or two, in the 15K miles, that they encountered heavy rain. If it leaked, can't find any signs of it.

I'll check in Oct, if my dune buddy, who also had an `04, but a WH, has the trim.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can confirm on our '05 Sea Breeze 1311, that we have the catch basins, week holes (5 of them) and corner brackets. I also have water stains along the back wall of the motorhome, as well as in our "hidden" storage compartment. I found the catch basins and weep holes when I was searching for the source of our water leak last winter.

And yes, there are a couple of small gaps that allow me to see outside/inside when the bedroom slide is out. These little buggers are my nemesis with trying to come up with a good solution for keeping the drafts out - when using the motorhome in the cold, snowy winters

On the water intrusion side, I did a few things last winter (2011) that appear to be successful with stopping water coming in. Although it was intended as a temporary solution, our hidden compartment has stayed dry (with the help of a damp rid) and when it rains, the rear wall doesn't appear to get wet/damp anymore.

I ran a bead of clear silicone along the top edge of the bottom L bracket, up along the sides where the caulk appeared worn. I also ran a bead around the top and sides of the bedroom window, as that window caulk was cracked and looking dried out. It's not pretty right now, but seems to have worked.

My more "permanent" fix is to take all the trim off the edges of the slideouts, clean and reseal them. Just another item on the list of things to do.

I also used some dicor on the roof where the rear cap meets the body. There were a few spots that looked suspicious to me, so I went over and around them with the dicor. I didn't have enough left to strip up the entire length - the plan for the front/rear caps and side walls is to get up there this spring, clean up/strip all the sealant and apply eternabond, along with new sealant where necessary. What was that about a to-do list ??

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Thanks 2Labs! The condition of your back bedroom corner is similar to mine except I think I may have caught my leak a little earlier and I don't have as much staining as you.

The seal around my bedroom window appears to be a gasket. Are you saying you had caulk over that too? I don't think there is any caulk around any of my windows.

A new roll of eternabond tape has arrived. Hope to get some of it installed as more rain is forecasted this weekend.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #41

Got the big ladder out today. That little black spot, about half a pin head in size was dirt. Where the vertical and horizontal seam meet was sealed well on both ends. I added some Loctite Stick and Seal. Water clean up, but has to be cut off with a knife when cured.

Shoddy workmanship on National's part. I think someone else was using the ladder when trim time came around. No screw holes or signs they were ever there.

From what I can see, the lounge slide is also sealed good without trim pieces. Will watch for leaks. Where it's parked, I can only open it a few inches, but the next time we get a good rain, I will check for leaks there.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #42

National RV Owners Club
Well.... after caulking EVERYTHING and even covering the rear cap seam with eternabond tape, I thought I had the problem licked after a few rains and no water. Not so. Had an all day rain event and come home to find water in the corner again!

Tags
leak, water