Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2021, 06:12 PM   #1

Voyager Monitor Removal

The Voyager rear camera monitor in my 2004 Dolphin has started acting up. I see several old threads with my identical problem (power cuts on and off) but nobody mentions how to remove the monitor from the dash. Does it pull out the front once the two big thumb screws are loosened, or do I have to take the dash apart? I've loosened the screws-- didn't remove them entirely yet-- but the unit still seems to be firmly attached. Maybe there's a hidden screw somewhere?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2021, 04:52 AM   #2

i replaced mine on a 2005 dolphin with a new color from rv cams, you take the two screws out and work it out from the front. i don;t remember any other screws, it does fit tight.
inbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:07 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We replaced our Voyager with a wired unit from www.rvcams.com. Don't recall it was difficult to remove and new unit came with a bracket or similar to make new install easier.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:00 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses. I eventually realized that there are two thumb screws PER SIDE. Also, there are some raised tabs on the bottom of the Voyager unit that catch on the lip of the dash. I used a thin pry bar to slip between the dash and the monitor at the location of the tabs to release them and then the unit pulls out from the front.

I took the cover off the Voyager to see if there were any loose ribbon connectors, but the power jack is soldered directly to the mother board. I put it back in the dash for now as at least it works part of the time, but I'll go ahead and get a replacement on order.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:47 PM   #5

Well, since I put the Voyager back in the dash it doesn't work at all . Since we're not even half way through a 3k mile trip I went ahead and bought a wireless unit off Amazon as a temporary measure and had it shipped to our next stop. I'll order the proper replacement kit for the VOM78 from RV Cams once I get home and then I can transfer the wireless unit to another truck I use for towing a car hauler.

Here's the wireless unit I bought. Will be interesting to see how well the solar powered camera works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-15-2021, 06:17 AM   #6

just want to say, the replacement rv cams sells fits right in and looks like it belongs there. i tried a cheap one from another site i won't say who but they said it would fit but it left a big gap all the way around needless to say i sent it back and went with rv cams, very nice.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbogie View Post
just want to say, the replacement rv cams sells fits right in and looks like it belongs there. i tried a cheap one from another site i won't say who but they said it would fit but it left a big gap all the way around needless to say i sent it back and went with rv cams, very nice.
Thanks for that confirmation. That's exactly why I'm planning to stick with RV Cams for my permanent replacement. I'd read previous reviews of some cheaper suppliers and noted that both the fit of the replacement monitor and the service from RV Cams seemed to be superior.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:53 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
The Voyager rear camera monitor in my 2004 Dolphin has started acting up. I see several old threads with my identical problem (power cuts on and off) but nobody mentions how to remove the monitor from the dash. Does it pull out the front once the two big thumb screws are loosened, or do I have to take the dash apart? I've loosened the screws-- didn't remove them entirely yet-- but the unit still seems to be firmly attached. Maybe there's a hidden screw somewhere?
In my 2002 Dolphin 6355, My voyager camera was the culprit. I wiggled the camera and it came on but blurry. I ordered a new camera from Tadi brothers and it plugged right in. No sound and black and white. But an inexpensive repair.
Home Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:06 PM   #9

Thanks for that tip. Got the $145 Amazon wireless camera to hold me over and it's working great. Only negative is it automatically times out after 90 seconds, so I have to press a button on the monitor each time I want to see if my toad is still there, but the picture quality is pretty impressive for the price. I'll dig into what's wrong with the Voyager once we get home from this trip.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:55 AM   #10

Mine came out after removing the thumb screws. Pulls out of the dash. Mine was doing the same thing and when I pulled it the plug was scorched! Anything scorched in a motorhome is scary! Because of the scorched wiring I went wireless off of Amazon. Wired the camera to the middle marker light but I always run with my lights on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	474BFBF3-5D53-47C1-907A-1C4DE97B265B.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	731.9 KB
ID:	343855   Click image for larger version

Name:	03F59E28-8F3F-4437-8A90-7C88874AFF36.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	343856  

Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:24 PM   #11

Well here's an interesting twist. Just realized that the monitor does work when the transmission is in reverse, but not otherwise. I've been towing a toad so haven't been using reverse much on this trip.

Seems like this offers a clue as to where to look for the problem, eh? Could it be the power switch in the monitor? I'm thinking this switch must be bypassed when the transmission is put into reverse.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
Well here's an interesting twist. Just realized that the monitor does work when the transmission is in reverse, but not otherwise. I've been towing a toad so haven't been using reverse much on this trip.

Seems like this offers a clue as to where to look for the problem, eh? Could it be the power switch in the monitor? I'm thinking this switch must be bypassed when the transmission is put into reverse.
check the wiring , it is wired to trigger when in reverse, it could also be in the settings on the monitor. if i remember right there is settings for when to trigger and such.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:32 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Voyager monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbogie View Post
check the wiring , it is wired to trigger when in reverse, it could also be in the settings on the monitor. if i remember right there is settings for when to trigger and such.
Our monitor 2002, Dolphin 6355 has a power button for full time viewing from the camera. If I don't turn it on, it only displays when in reverse. Hope this helps.
Home Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Builder View Post
Our monitor 2002, Dolphin 6355 has a power button for full time viewing from the camera. If I don't turn it on, it only displays when in reverse. Hope this helps.

yes you are right, that is the way the origional one in my 2005 dolphin was power on for constant and just reverse trigger if not turned on.

Tags
monitor, removal, voyage