Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
W-24 chassis Bulkhead Metal Crack.

On our return trip from a week's camping, we had an "Oil Can" sound coming from just behind & below the driver/pass seats.

Checking today by removing the engine shroud/cover, it turns out that the bulkhead just behind the rear portion of the shroud, is a horizontal metal bulkhead, running cross wise and vertically, & on the passenger side there is a large rectangular round edged hole punched out, about 5" high x 10" wide and the lower portion is only about an inch high.

That lower strip of metal is torn apart, right where it passes over the main frame. The lower edge of the strip is factory bent like angle iron and meets the edge of the frame, but there is no obvious weld. The opposite side does have a weld strip, but there is not large hole punched out to create a weakness.
I have attached a couple of pic's of the break, plus one from below showing the angled bottom without a weld.
Anyone else encounter this metal fatigue breakage? Eugene.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02181.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	13263   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02182.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	13264  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02186.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	13265  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not know about a weld, but it is very clear that the first photo, where the bar touches the other piece of metal, it should be connected, either welded or one piece.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I do not know about a weld, but it is very clear that the first photo, where the bar touches the other piece of metal, it should be connected, either welded or one piece.
Yes wa8yxm, I will have it reinforced and welded. All three photo's are of the same break, but from different angles. The Other Piece of Metal is the Main Frame, pass side front to rear, bulk head runs left to right above main frame members to support the floor and partition & Support the basement storage compartments.

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is the third picture all about? Just for the record: IMHO The broken MH frame issue has nothing to due with your Workhorse W-24.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRV4FUN View Post
Just for the record: IMHO The broken MH frame issue has nothing to due with your Workhorse W-24.
I'd have to agree with that but for giggles my Pace Arrow has a cracked body mount at the passengers side front as well. The same crack has been posted by a few other Fleetwood owners as well.

I guess that's what keeps us all on our toes
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out the link below prior to welding on you motorhome.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/weldi...ssis-8358.html
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:19 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks all, I'lll just get it fixed, just wanted to give w-24 chassis owners a heads up on the bulkhead break.

Tags
chassis