Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-20-2022, 05:26 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Water damage

Hi everyone
I'm looking for help with water damage repair on my 2000 National Dolphin.
I need to replace the floor and walls in the bedroom including the slide-out.
I'm not sure how to dismantle the bed frame and side cabinets and also how to remove the fabric covered slide-out trim without damaging it. I would like to reinstall these pieces after the repair is done.
Since these walls will be changed out I have decided to do the whole RV to keep it as close to stock as possible. I would like to replace the carpet throughout with plank flooring.

I have never worked on an RV, but I would like to save the cost on such a repair.
I could sure use some expertise and if anyone knows of a step by step video it would greatly help.
Thanks
nurver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2022, 06:27 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
You got a big job. I've done some water damage repair on my 2001 Dophin. It takes a lot of patience and trial & error. MH's aren't build to be repaired. The walls are built as a sandwich with thin plywood on the inside, foam, then fiberglass outside. All glued under pressure on a big bench in the factory. I was able to repair a sidewall near the passenger window but it was a long tricky job. Not sure how much damage you have. I haven't done any thing to the floor but I think it is constructed as a laminated piece as well? It was put down first and the completed walls put up later.

My slideout trim was screwed on from the back side of the trim. Tricky to get to but once I found the screws it came right off and back on. Screws may be under the soft vinyl roofing material. Not sure about the bed frame but there should be a false floor you can lift out. May have screws thru the carpet. Under that is is probably screwed directly to the floor.

If you have to replace the back wall I would look into removing the back cap if you have facilities to do that. I was able to get it done without but it was creative.

good luck
mike9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:05 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Water damage

Thanks for the info.
Unfortunately I will have to attempt this outside.

I'm wondering if it is worth the trouble to repair especially as you've said the walls are built like a sandwich.

There are very small areas on the floor where I've seen the damage.

Again thank you for your help it gives me lots to think about before tackling this type of job.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:43 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I have repaired water damage to the walls on my 96 National Seabreee. It was tricky but I found that a sharp scraper took the damaged areas off if 5he walls with it and a multi tool with a scraper blade attached. It took about three hours to get the rotted area off it was a 2 x6 area. Nationals we're built with a steel frame in the walls with styrofoam panels for the insulation. It takes patients and time but can been done

2019 - ?? 1996 National Sea Breeze
It's been a 2 year restore project.
SeaBreazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:20 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for the information, SeaBreezer.
When you reinstalled the new panel, what did you use to fasten it to the wall?
Old 01-25-2022, 05:27 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurver1 View Post
I used Gorilla ultimate construction adhesive. You can buy it at the big box lumber stores in the same Isle as liguid nails.

Old 01-25-2022, 06:13 AM   #7

I did not have a rig like yours, but I did had a Class C with severe water damage and like said earlier RV's are not designed to be taken apart. I ended up gutting the RV, anything that was on the floor went and got tossed. Trying to save everything was a futile effort. I went to Home Depot and bought a couple of Bagsters to put all of the demoed stuff in and just had Waste management take it away when full.

I completely removed the bathroom, kitchen, all subfloor and this included the garage floor. This was a toy hauler. Everything that got removed got replaced with new. Plus I fixed plumbing and electrical stuff that the manufacturer did not do very well.

This is a big job. It took me 4 months working everyday. Make sure you level the rig to do this work. Also an oscillating saw will be your friend. Get a lot of Blades.

Don't count everyday, Make everyday count
Grabcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 01:00 PM   #8

I am planning this process. My question is:

How to remove the outside 'trim' rails that run horozontal front to back at about the floor level?

Mine leaked and then the water wicked up. It weakened the outside sheet. This happens when water has been absorbed into the 'plywood' siding.

I have been able to inspect one area and there appear to be screws holding some sort of construction part in place. This part actually appears to be structural. The trim piece appears to be moslty seal and visual.

Dan
dansawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:50 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansawyer View Post
I am planning this process. My question is:

How to remove the outside 'trim' rails that run horozontal front to back at about the floor level?

Mine leaked and then the water wicked up. It weakened the outside sheet. This happens when water has been absorbed into the 'plywood' siding.

I have been able to inspect one area and there appear to be screws holding some sort of construction part in place. This part actually appears to be structural. The trim piece appears to be moslty seal and visual.

Dan
On the the 96 National the horizontal trim is a strip with a cap that runs the whole length of the trim/seal. I removed mine by using a ice pick and a small screwdriver and carefully pried it off to reuse it. My unit had some severe delamination on the driver's side from water damage from the PO not taking care of the seals around the windows. If you want to you can pm me and I explain in detail how I did it.

Old 01-27-2022, 10:44 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
This is what happens if you do not check the caulk around all the exterior seams. I found a small water leak during a crazy rain storm in an area that should not have a leak. Come to find out the caulking at the seam was all dried out and cracked. I removed all the old caulk and replaced it with new and the leak has stopped, knock on wood.
Julia2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 05:39 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Water Damage

Hi Julia 2005
This water damage happened to my rig after I had a so-called professional re-caulk all the seams and do a roof inspection.
They ended up pushing the plastic drain inside the unit, and it rotted a corner of the floor as well.
Because of this mess and the cost for repair, I thought I would try and do it myself.
Thank you for the tip on doing a complete inspection. I can attest to the damage a small leak can have.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurver1 View Post
Work outside? You're asking for trouble. Find a way to protect that area, you will not be working 24 per day, you'll get tired, pissed then walk away for a day or two.

2000 Monaco Executive. 350 Cummins.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water damage